Chapter 1

Kassie threw her suitcase on her shared bedroom running out into the living room.

”Kitttteeee!!!” she heard a three year little boy scream. Her half brother, Jayden, ran up to her holding out his arms for her to hold him. She picked him up swinging him around in circles. He laughed uncontrollably until he spotted his mother in the background. His eyes glanced over at his sister.

*”Okay, Jay-Jay…go to mom…” she said quietly walking out of the room into the kitchen. Jayden’s mother picked him up following Kassie into the kitchen.

”Kassandra…you know this summer will be miserable if you don’t follow our rules…” Kassie listened to her stepmother go on and on about the rules in their home.

”Ugh…I just got here…I’m going over to Tiara’s house. Call me when dad gets home…” she sighed heavily grabbing her oversized bag containing her swimming suite, sunscreen, cell phone and ipod.

”He’ll be home soon…” she heard her stepmother Janie yell as Kassie picked up her cell phone.

”Hey…I’m coming over…”Kassie called her best friend Tiara as she walked down the beachside street.

”Yeeesssss! We can’t wait to see you Kass!” Tiara answered. ”And don’t forget Bruno’s performing tonight…” Tiara finished.

”I don’t know if I’ll be able to go. Jane is being a queen B today…and I just got here…” Kassie told her friend as she opened the door to their house.

”Screw it…” Tiara answered seeing her best friend open the door. They threw down their phones in unison running towards each other.

”I missseeeddd yooouuuu!” they both screamed.

”Oh my god…shut the hell up you two….” Kassie heard Tiara’s little brother, Bruno, yell as he wandered out the door. Kassie glanced over at him trying to hit him on the back as he walked outside. He squeezed out the door inches away from her arm. Even though Bruno and Kassie were closer in age, Tiara and she had become the closet of friends, even though Kassie had left Hawaii nearly 5 years ago.

”Where’s Olivia?” Tiara asked Kassie.

”I think she’s locked herself in the bedroom…she’s IMing with her boyfriend…”

”Ohhh…..sexxxyyyy.” Tiara answered grabbing her keys and bag escorting the two of them out the door. ”You know…if you want a boyfriend to IM you … you can always have Bruno…” Tiara joked looking at her brother at the other end of the beach. They threw their towels on the ground stretching out grabbing their ipods.

”Kassie….” she heard Bruno standing over her.

”What, Brunz?” she asked slightly annoyed.

”Come surfing…” he said motioning toward the beach.

”Not yet…” she said putting her sunglasses back on along with her head phones.

”Kitttieeee…..come onnnnn….” he whined kicking sand her way.

”Go….he loveessss youuu…” Tiara joked.

”Okay, fine…but you know I’ll outlast you, Bruno….” she told him.

”Doubtful…” he joked. ”Imma go pro…” he said kicking out towards the middle of the beach with her.

”You’ll be a pro surfer before you win a Grammy, Bruno….” she said sarcastically jumping up on the surfboard flying past him.

”Damnit, Kassie….you did get better…” he told her following her out of the water.

”I didn’t leave the beach, bb…I live in Santa Monica…” she reminded him flashing him a to die for smile without even knowing it.

”Two out of three, Kass…” he challenged her.

”You’re going to be sorry when I kick your ass…” she told him running down the beach. Why is she so hot? He thought to himself watching her run into the distance.

She outdid him more than 3 times. Several of their friends ended up joining them, even getting Tiara and Tahaiti to get in several times. Even though there was a large group of people enjoying their day, for some reason, Kassie couldn’t keep her eyes off of Bruno. She hadn’t seen him in a year, since the start of high school, but he had an air of confidence about him that she was unknowingly falling for.

As the sun started to set and parents demanded their children come home before going out later that evening, Bruno and Kassie stayed in the water. Tiara had walked her younger sisters home telling Kassie that she would come over to her house the next day, only after winking at her.

*”Shut up, that’s grossss!” Kassie responded looking at Bruno talking to Kassie’s 17 year old sister who was trying to drag Kassie back home.

”Dad said he wants to see you…” Olivia yelled at her.

”Just come and get me when the boys are asleep. I don’t want to deal with the wicked witch…” Kassie told her older sister.

”Shit…you really do hate her, don’t you?” Bruno asked her.

”She yelled at me for spinning Jayden around this afternoon…shoot. I’ll go home before she yells at me for that again…” Kassie told him.

”Kass…you have to learn to deal with her. She’s going to be your stepmother forever…” he told her seriously. She didn’t answer him choosing to grab her stuff from the ground to walk back home. Bruno’s things were sitting right next to hers. He bent down at the same time putting on his shirt to walk back toward their homes. She put on the hoodie she brought with her to keep her warm at the same time. Before they could step away from the ground where their towels sat just seconds earlier Bruno leaned in towards her. She looked into his eyes not sure what he was doing….and then suddenly his lips touched hers. She didn’t know what to do other than to do exactly the same thing he did, kiss him.

”I have to go, Bruno…” she said pulling her lips away from his. She picked up her cell phone running away as fast as she could.