Trepidation | H.S.

By flickershe

[COMPLETED] trep·i·da·tion a feeling of fear or agitation about something that may happen. *** "You'll see... More

CAST AND INTRODUCTION
1 | Indiana - Sugar
2 | Indiana - Files
3 | Indiana - Stars
4 | Harry - Clothes
5 | Indiana - Photos
6 | Indiana - Encounter
7 | Indiana - Shots
8 | Indiana - Knock
9 | Indiana - Suitcase
10 | Indiana - Maze
11 | Indiana - Showtime
12 | Harry - Fire
13 | Indiana - Sneaky
14 | Indiana - Self-inviting
15 | Indiana - High
16 | Indiana - Drive
17 | Harry - Euphoric
18 | Indiana - Shop or Shot
19 | Indiana - Mafia
20 | Indiana - Night
21 | Harry - Free-fall
22 | Indiana - Boat
23 | Indiana - Cliff
24 | Harry - Nightmare
25 | Indiana - Breakfast
26 | Indiana - Call
27 | Indiana - Sink
28 | Harry - Panic
29 | Indiana - Confession
30 | Indiana - Confused
31 | Indiana - Cold
32 | Indiana - Stress
33 | Harry - Trauma
34 | Indiana - Trust
35 | Harry - Blindfold
36 | Indiana - Bonding
37 | Harry - Pain
38 | Indiana - Brain
39 | Harry - Torture
40 | Indiana - Lie
41 | Indiana - Blood
42 | Harry - Truth
43 | Indiana - Numb
44 | Indiana - Time
45 | Harry - Talk
46 | Indiana - Connection
47 | Harry - Control
48 | Indiana - Camera
49 | Indiana - Dirty
50 | Indiana - Sweat
51 | Harry - Party
52 | Indiana - Shower
53 | Indiana - Ponder
54 | Harry - Struggle
55 | Indiana - Caught
56 | Harry - Body
57 | Indiana - Discover
58 | Harry - News
59 | Harry - Dreams
60 | Indiana - Photograph
61 | Indiana - Memories
62 | Indiana - Last
63 | Harry - Crash
64 | Indiana - Wait
65 | Indiana - Headache
66 | Harry - Ring
67 | Indiana - Give
68 | Harry - Letter
69 | Indiana - Love
70 | Harry - Plan
71 | Indiana - Them
72 | Harry - Confront
73 | Indiana - Danger
74 | Harry - Sister
75 | River - Flashback
76 | Indiana - Escape
77 | Harry - Ready
78 | Indiana - Think
79 | Harry - Tell All
81 | Zayn - Commit
82 | Harry - Waiting
83 | Zayn - Goodbye
84 | Indiana - Finale
Epilogue

80 | Indiana - Answers

1.1K 39 14
By flickershe

Feels like a lifetime
Just trying to get by while we're dying inside
***
THIS IS THE SECOND PART OF A DOUBLE UPDATE, MAKE SURE YOU READ CHAPTER 79 FIRST!

"Where are we supposed to start?" I choked down the nerves and finally spoke up through the fast silence.

I mean we've all been staring at each other for about five minutes now. It isn't going to get us anywhere if we don't start talking. So, we need to start coming up with some plans.

We need to get our answers.

"I guess we just start with where she could be," Liam shrugged, looking over at me and I was starting to feel pissed and very grateful for him all at the same time. "That's the most important thing to us, right?"

"Yes," Harry and I both said in unison before we glanced at each other and he started to speak. "I don't really care what happens to me after we find her, I just need you guys to be safe."

Harry's fucking stupid.

I knew he was going to pull this shit, but I can't even lie and say I wasn't going to attempt it. He's going to let himself get caught, be the one in danger while the rest of us get to live free.

"No, that's not what's going to happen." I stated blankly, my glare hardening as I looked at him. "You don't get to give up your life just because of this, we'll figure out a plan."

"But I'm not putting you all in danger for the sake of my life!" Harry pushed back, his voice a bit louder than what it was before. "I'm not letting anymore people get hurt because of saving me."

For that moment in time, it felt like it was just the two of us in the room. Like all the other boys had disappeared and the world swallowed into the two of us in our own bubble.

It made me mad that he would so easily just give up to protect the ones he cared about. He wasn't thinking about how we would feel, how much pain and suffering we would go through.

He doesn't understand how much I love him.

"Harry, you're pretty stupid if you think we are just going to sit here while you two fly into a literal shit show." Niall laughed, and as much as the laugh came off as a joke, I knew he was serious.

"You don't understand!" He cried out, and I could tell that he was starting to get mad. "All six of us can't just go walking in there and save the day. They're watching us, they know who's with us."

I knew Harry was right, but it just shouldn't have felt that way. The video clearly stated we needed to follow the rules and that if we didn't it would result in punishment. So, maybe it is better if they stay out of this.

We also don't need them getting hurt. I think it would crush Harry and I if we knew one of them ended up hurt because we wanted them to trail along with us.

It's so conflicting. I know we won't be able to make it out of this with just the two of us, but how do we keep them safe too?

"So we outsmart them," Louis spoke up, finally looking up from his hands to meet where Harry and I were sitting. "They're underestimating us. After all we are Trepidation and we have the damn Princess working with us."

"He's right," Niall agreed with a head nod. "How many times have we gotten out of shit before? Including the shit that your ex has done to us, we can get out of this too."

I hope we can all get out of this.

"I'm not letting all of you go with," Harry protested, crossing his arms over his chest like a little kid. "You can help now, but not then."

This felt like a waste of time. Them bickering back and forth, not caring about what we actually need to do right now. They keep looking at the future, instead of what's happening right now.

"I'm not arguing with you about this right now," Liam rolled his eyes, as a sigh left his lips. "Let's just start figuring this out. Do you have any idea where she could be?"

"No," I said quietly, feeling a pang of sadness strike me in the heart. "I had no idea Jaxson was even capable of this, let alone where he would take her."

What I said was true. I tried to think of all the moments about him, yet I never could recall one where he would be able to even conduct this large of a mess.

I know he's capable of hurting people, he's done it to me more times than I can count. Physically and mentally. I just don't know what the reason was for this.

"I don't know how we're supposed to find her," I sighed, running my hands along the top of my thighs. "I just hate that she's in this mess because of me."

"I can try," Zayn spoke up, and we all turned our heads to look at him. "I can try and get the IP address from the video. That might give us where they are."

Zayn is always the one with the brain. I knew he was always helpful, but after all this he could be the one to save us. I wish I had the skills he did in that specialty.

He was always so helpful.

"Yeah," Liam nodded, standing up from the couch. "That's a good idea. How do we do it? I'm not into that type of stuff."

"I just need to get the serial number of the phone number, and then I can try and get a location from there..." Zayn started to speak, but slowly trailed off at the end. "Unless they already outsmarted us, but we aren't going to think about that."

Positive thinking. Zayn always tried to think positively even if he knew the worst was to come, I liked that about him.

"What if we can't get it?" Harry asked cautiously, his teeth practically tearing the skin of his lips.

"We don't need to think about that right now," Zayn said sternly, his eyes meeting Harry's. "Just give me your phone and we'll work from there."

Harry didn't say anything after that, he just slowly reached for his phone in his pocket as Zayn waited patiently. I watched as his hands fumbled for it, the slight shake in his hands hard to miss.

"Thanks." Zayn muttered the quick word when the phone landed in his hand, forcing a fake smile on his face.

"While he starts doing that, why don't we try to start thinking about why this could be happening?" Liam said, his eyes glancing between Harry and I. He knew the other boys wouldn't know much about this whole thing.

"I have no idea," Harry groaned, rubbing his tired eyes. "My fuck of a father probably does, but god knows where he is right now."

That felt like a lightbulb going off in my head for some reason. The mention of his father, and answers surrounded me. It just gave me the idea of what I need to do.

"Hugo..." I said simply, making them all raise an eyebrow and turn their gazes towards me. "Hugo will have answers."

I knew he would, and even if it wasn't about Jaxson, it'd be about what Desmond and Martin do. He has to know why they do what they do, and what it's about. After all, he was the one that saved me from that mess.

"Shit-" Louis muttered, like it had also connected in his head. "That's a good idea, you should go call him."

"I should," I agreed, feeling off about it all just because I knew it would lead to things I didn't want to hear. "I'll be back."

Harry gave me a glance and I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze before I stood up so he knew I'd be fine. A couple of the boys gave me short nods as I stood and went to move into the bedroom.

As I started to walk, I could see Zayn starting to do something on Harry's phone. I just hoped that by the time I'd come back he would have a location. I needed this to workout.

I quickly moved into my bedroom, the mess I made last night still left as it was. My phone was in tow, my fingers slightly shaky as I tapped them against the screen.

It felt like it had been so long since I actually talked to Hugo, and I knew this wouldn't be good. I'm not going to be able to hold this conversation for long over the phone, so I'm going to have to do something else.

I just need to tell him.

The ring echoed through my head as I pressed the phone against my ear. As it rang repeatedly part of me was worried he wouldn't answer and that something had happened to him too.

After about seven rings that I was able to count I heard the line pick up. My heart rate only raced along as I heard him speak up.

"Indiana?" Hugo sounded confused and he spoke my name through the phone. Little did he know what was happening.

"Hugo." I repeated his name dryly, my eyes staying pierced to the shattered glass at my feet as I showed no emotion in my voice.

Just hearing his voice made me mad. I didn't even know if I was supposed to feel upset, or hurt, but I did.

It felt like everything was a lie. He's hidden who took me for so long, and that has to be why I'm connected to Desmond. Who knows what else he is hiding at this point?

"How are you, it's been so long?" He asked, making me roll my eyes at the dramaticness in his voice. "Is something wrong-"

"Are you in New York?" I asked, cutting him off from his babbling. I didn't really need to hear about it right now, I was on a ticking time clock.

"Yes, why?" The tone of his voice changed, much more serious than what it was just mere seconds ago. "What's wrong?"

He really is clueless. I'm thankful for what he's done for me, but at the same time, I really contemplate putting a bullet through the center of his skull. He doesn't know when the right and wrong time to say things is.

"I need you to come to my apartment," I stated, not caring to explain right now. I knew if I did he would only come up with more lies and excuses for what he did. "You have twenty minutes to get here. Don't be late."

"But Indiana-" He tried to call my name through the small device, but I already had enough of what he was doing.

I had better things to do than argue and try to get answers over the phone with him. That's why I'm having him come here.

"Goodbye, Hugo," I held my stance, feeling my jaw tighten as I spoke. "I'll see you shortly."

With that, I hung up the phone. I didn't bother to wait any longer for his response. I knew if he was smart he would listen to me.

If he truly cared for me the way he says he does, then he would know when I was in trouble and when to come.

The second I shoved my phone back into the front pocket of my hoodie I had on, I broke down. I couldn't hold it in anymore, as much as I tried to stay strong these last few days, I knew I wouldn't last much longer.

Hot tears streamed down my cheeks, them burning a pathway through the redness as they did. I held in the sobs, not daring to make any noise that would alert the boys to what I was going through.

I just need a moment to myself right now. I can't even begin to think about what is truly happening right now, it all feels like a sick joke. I'm only twenty, this shouldn't be happening to me.

My life is such a fucking mess, it's so far from what everyone else my age is doing. I'm not a college student out partying, I'm not doing the simple things such as going shopping with friends, I'm not trying to date that hot guy to forget my ex. I don't get to do any of that.

Instead, my only friend who I thought was innocent is actually my current boyfriend's sister who came back from the dead. My boyfriend is just as fucked in the head as I am, and we started off as enemies. Then just to top it all off, my other friends are only my friends because I lied to them and pretended to be the girl I should've been instead of what I truly am.

What a great fucking life.

Suck it up, Indiana.

I need to stop crying. I can't keep wasting time, wasted time is just an excuse and one I can't give to River. I need to find her.

She has to be safe, if she isn't I don't think I could ever look Harry in the eyes again. This whole situation is my fault, over and over again. If she isn't okay it would crush him and it would all be because of me.

This needs to work the way I want it to.

I stood up quickly from where I had squatted down on the ground near the foot of the bed and wiped the tears away from my eyes. I moved to the bathroom, deciding that splashing my face with cold water would probably help with everything going wrong in my life.

When I opened the bathroom door, I was met with another mess of broken glass and items but this time it wasn't from me. It didn't bother me at all, and I just ignored it and stepped over the glass so I could get to the sink.

My eyes meet my own in the broken mirror, and I honestly got a little startled at myself. My eyes were puffy and red with very dark circles underneath them that I couldn't bear to look at for long.

What distracted me was the fact that through the shattered glass there were splatters of blood. Not much, but enough to be seen by the eye. It explained why Harry's knuckles were busted which only made me frown a bit.

I forced myself to break my gaze in the mirror, and turned on the sink. I ran my hands under the cold water quickly before I leaned down a bit so my head was at the same level.

The water filled in my hands as I made a makeshift cup with them. I brought them up to splash the cold water across my face, and it actually felt refreshing. At the same time it was a shock, but I needed it.

After I did it once more, I stood straight and patted my face dry with one of the towels. I took one last glance at my reflection before I forced my feet to trail out of the room.

The door creaked open and it sent a chill down my spine. It felt like any time I'd open a door, someone would be hiding and ready to pop out.

I knew I needed to get back to the boys. It had already been a good ten minutes since my disappearance, and I only hoped it was enough time for them to find an address.

I need him to find an address.

"Indiana," I heard Harry call my voice in a sigh of relief as my body became visible around the corner. "Everything okay?"

No.

"As okay as it can be," I forced a fake smile as I sat back down on the couch, glancing over at Zayn and Liam who seemed to be tapping away at the screen. "Any luck?"

The two of them quickly lifted their heads to look at me, just now realizing I was there. A frown came over Zayn's face and my whole body instantly dropped. I knew what was going on, he didn't even need to say it.

"I'm trying I just can't get through," He sighed, and I could see how badly he felt. It was written all over his face. "I think they may have blocked the number off, or used a burner phone."

I slowly nodded, not really being able to produce any words to think about. I didn't know what to say, I didn't want him to feel bad about what he wasn't able to do. I'm just thankful he even tried to help.

"It's okay," I said through my head nods, but it was more like I was reassuring myself than I was them. "Everything will be okay."

I hope it's okay.

Silence took over after that, and not the good kind. It was the type when you're waiting for someone to say something, because something needs to be said, but no one does.

It's just quiet. You go off into your own world and think about all the regrets of your life. It was always such a heartbreaker. The silence that overwhelmed you till you were gone.

"Fuck-" Zayn let out a huff after a few minutes of silence, making all of us jump slightly. "I can't get in. I'm sorry guys."

The heartbreak of it all. It wasn't Zayn's fault and I hoped he knew that. We were just in a fucked up situation with no way out.

"Oh," I muttered quietly, I don't think they could even hear it. It was more towards myself than anyone else.

It was like a reality check of not knowing what to do. It was just another failed plan we couldn't complete. Another loss amongst the scattered wins. At this point it didn't look like there would be any more wins in this lifetime.

"We'll get more answers," Louis reassured, trying to hold us all together with the rubber band that was about to snap. "We will figure this out.

Just a few scattered nods between us. No words, no smiles, no tears. Just the blank slates of what used to hold the emotion between us. We were all broken beyond repair.

"Did you talk to Hugo?" Harry asked, trying to distract me. I could tell it had already sank in with him. "You were in your room for a little bit."

"Yeah a little," I spoke quietly, feeling everyone's eyes burn onto me at the mention of Hugo. "He's uh- he's actually coming here instead."

There goes the panic. All their eyes widened as their lives flashed before their eyes. I didn't think much about what they would think about him coming here. I mean, after all, Hugo is one of their biggest enemies.

"He's what?" Harry tried to keep his calm, but I could see his pupils dilate in reaction. I knew he was trying his hardest not to make me feel bad about it.

"The dudes gonna fucking shoot us all!" Niall groaned, but I could tell he was partially serious with his words.

I can see where Niall's coming from actually. I mean our groups have gone after each other for years, and if one of us even dared to get as close to the other group as we are, they'd be dead on sight. But, that's not what's going to happen tonight.

"No he's not," I quickly responded cautiously, trying to explain that he wouldn't do that at all. "Hugo knows not to mess with me. Trust me, he's not going to touch you."

"Are you sure?" Niall asked, and I couldn't understand why he was so anxious over Hugo coming here.

"I'm sure." I repeated with a nod, trying to force a smile that would show any sense of truth. It was useless at this point.

Part of me felt a little sad they didn't trust me. I know Hugo, and Hugo knows me. He wouldn't dare touch them, and if he does I'll cut his fingers off. Seriously.

I just wish the boys knew that I'd stand up for them through anything. They opened me up and gave me the best person in my life, I owe them. I owe them for everything they've done for me, all the times they saved me. This is me repaying them.

"It's fine guys," Harry rolled his eyes at them before he looked back at me, shaking his head. "What time is he going to be-"

Speak of the devil.

The knocks rang out through the door and I could've sworn we all physically jumped. It was a bit startling, not going to lie, it was very bad timing.

"Now," I forced a very fake smile plastered across my face as I stood up. "I'll be back."

They didn't say anything to me, I think they were all a little bit pissed off by my short warning. I just left the room and went about my business as I heard their whispers behind me.

I took a deep breath as I faced the door, knowing that Hugo was doing the same thing on the other side of the door. It had been so long since I'd seen him and it felt like there was so much we needed to say to each other.

When I opened the door, I was met with a very fidgety Hugo. Sweat beads lined his forehead as he looked at me with panic in his eyes. They scanned my body for any sign of injury, but surprise, I was physically fine.

"Hugo." I started with a dry tone, pursing my lips as I held onto the side of the door. My head tilted slightly as I looked at him for the first time in months.

"There's nothing wrong with you?" He yelled, flailing his arm around making me roll my eyes. "What the fuck, Indiana!"

I'm not dealing with his bitch mood today.

"What the fuck, Hugo!" I mocked him, not even attempting to be nice. He's already done enough to me, and now he owes me an explanation. "It took you long enough."

I rolled my eyes with a groan at the end of my sentence just earning a glare from him. I'm not usually like this with him, but I guess you could say times have changed.

The past three months have taught me a thing or two, I'm not the person who left New York. I used to stay quiet around him, just be grateful that he even helped me. I wouldn't have dared to lash out on him like this...

But things change.

"Something got you in a piss mood?" He cocked an eyebrow, finally starting to catch his breath. I didn't realize I had startled him that much. "I don't even get a 'Nice to see you'? It's been three months, Indie."

"No," I pursed my lips, tightening my grip on the door. "That's not why you're here, Hugo."

If times were normal I would've been very happy to see him. After all, he was the only person who knew anything about me before them. Now I don't know if I owe kindness to him.

What if he's behind these games too?

"Then why am I here?" Hugo rolled his eyes, starting to get annoyed by my sense of indirect conversation, I knew it pissed him off.

"To give us answers." I responded dryly, opening the front door a bit more so it revealed my apartment.

From where he was standing I knew he could see the living room just around the corner. It was an open room, and right in his line of view. Showing him right where he needed to look.

At the boys.

"Fuck, Indiana-" He raised his voice a bit to show how alarmed he was by seeing all five member of Trepidation sitting on my living room couch. "Am I here to get murdered by all of you?"

"They won't touch you as long as you don't do anything to them," I responded feeling annoyed by how much he was overreacting over them being here. "Once again, that's not what we're here for."

I felt like I was repeating the same things over and over again, and honestly I was. Both sides had the same questions, worried about the other but in reality we all wanted the same thing. An explanation.

"Have you turned on me or something?" The tone of his voice changed and Hugo cocked an eyebrow knowing that it made me mad. "You go away for a couple of months and go to the dark side."

"That's a question for you to answer." I deadpanned, making him widen his eyes in shock before he quickly tried to cover it up.

I guess you could say I'm not here to mess around. If he's going to be like this, then he'll lose me too. I no longer stand around for other people's orders. My whole life has been like that and it's time for a change.

"Come on in," I forced a small smile, opening the door wider so he could come through it. "We've been waiting long enough."

He didn't say anything, he kept his lips pursed as he nodded his head and moved through the door. I watched as he adjusted the jacket he had on, the few buttons holding it together.

I started to walk back towards the living room knowing that Hugo was following short behind. The front door closed with a click before I heard the taps of his shoes walking behind me.

"Hugo," I said his name, making him bring his head up to meet my eyes once I walked back into the living room. "The boys."

My arm pointed in the direction of where all of the boys were sitting on the couches. They all lifted their heads at the sound of my voice, and I could see the nerves written all over their faces. It only matched the look on Hugo's.

"Nice to see you again." Louis cocked his head at the sight of Hugo making my head rush with twenty different thoughts.

"What-" I started to speak but quickly realized I didn't need to hear that right now. "You know what, I don't need to know what happened."

I sat down on the couch with a deep huff exhaling as my back thudded against the couch. My hand patted against Harry's thigh as everyone stared at me in awkward silence, Hugo still standing up.

"Sit." Harry rolled his eyes, pointing at the chair near the corner being annoyed by Hugo just standing out in the blue.

He cleared his throat before slowly moving to sit down on the chair. It was across from all of us, and I could see his face start to go beat red from the attention all on him.

Something about him seemed different, I don't know quite where to put it. Just an off vibe about him recently, and the dead silence isn't helping either.

"Can someone explain why I'm here?" Hugo spoke up, his eyes meeting mine like I would hold the answer.

"Who's Martin Horan?" I asked out of the blue, making everyone widen their eyes at my sudden question.

It was the one I wanted to ask most, but shouldn't have. I probably could've started off with something a bit softer, and not as intrusive but I've had a rough week.

He's the only one who knows these answers.

"What?" He gawked like I had just asked him the most crazy question in the world.

"You heard me, who is Martin Horan?" I repeated my question, not backing down from it even though it made me nervous at the thought. "And how did you get me from him?"

His face paled the second I mentioned that. The one little thing that changed my life forever, being free from there just to be put in another hell. But now, I'm waiting on him.

"You know..." He whispered quietly and I nodded my head just confirming his thought. "It's a really long story, Indiana."

"Well, you better get talking." I pursed my lips in a hard straight line as my nails dug into the skin of my palms for some emotional relief.

As much as I tried to look like I was calm, I was a total shitshow inside. My nerves were off their rockers and it made me dizzy from the thoughts that surrounded me.

"Um- Martin, Desmond and I go way back." He started to speak and at the mention of their names I could see everyone perk up to listen. "Martin's uh... he's my brother."

What the fuck.

"Oh you gotta be kidding me with all the secret sibling bullshit!" Louis groaned, smacking his head down on the table making me jump slightly.

"My fathers your-" Niall stuttered as he pointed at him trying to grasp what he just said. "Y- you're my uncle?"

Jesus Christ our world is so fucked up.

I swear Satan said I'm already bad enough so why don't I add a few more demons to your salad. I think our hell is worse than satan.

"Yes, we didn't get along much when growing up..." Hugo continued to explain and I couldn't find words to say, I just listened. "We struggled with money but when I went to university I met someone. It was your mother, Harry."

The mention of Harry's mom made him jump under my touch, making my heart break. I knew it was too soon for him to have others talk about her, especially after just not finding out what really happened.

"What the fuck does my mum have anything to do with this!" He bellowed, not liking his mother being brought up around everyone. I completely understood why he felt that way.

"Your mom, Anne, she introduced me to Desmond." He told the story to us as we all listened in closely. "I guess you could say the four of us were best buds... until your father came up with an idea."

This is where I started to pay attention to every word he said. I knew this is where what I needed to hear would come in, and it would only explain my life.

"He wanted to start a group, he said it would give us a good chunk of change." Hugo continued to explain as we all stayed silent. "Martin and I were desperate for money, and at first it actually was a good idea. We just did some drug exchanges to start off with until it just got bigger and bigger."

At the end of his sentence he paused, swallowing hard before he looked up from his hands. When he did, his eyes met ours and I could see the tears that burned them.

Whatever happened hurt him too.

"What happened after that?" Harry asked, and it was like his voice was unexpected to Hugo. Because when he spoke his eyes widened slightly before he covered it up.

"I started to get pushed out, left out of some meetings and stuff but nothing I didn't question much." He responded, keeping his eyes on Harry like it was most important for him to hear. "Not until one day..."

The nerves in my stomach seemed to pick up, knowing what was about to come. His words paused as my heart rate picked up, I knew I was about to get the answers I waited for my whole life.

"The day I found out what was really going on." He finally finished his sentence as he tried to hold in a sob that narrowly escaped from his throat.

"Hugo," I called his name, hoping if he heard a familiar voice it would help him finish his words. "What were they doing?"

He met my eyes through his blurry vision looking at me like I was some helpless little girl again. I watched a frown take over his face before he spoke once more.

"They 're taking little girls... and boys." He finished the sentence I knew was bound to be said. "They hurt them, used them for their pleasure... they killed them."

"They killed me." I whispered quietly, hearing him sob at my words.

It was true, they killed the person inside of me. Even though I may physically be here and alive, I will never be the person I was before them. I would never get to be that happy little girl, I will always have the trauma behind me.

"I tried to save them all, I just couldn't do it!" He cried out and for some reason I started to feel mad. "I couldn't be apart of their stuff anymore so I ran and never talked to them again. I couldn't stop them, I was too weak."

"Enough," I responded dryly, not wanting to hear his pleas anymore. "What happened after that?"

I don't know why I couldn't listen to him cry anymore, it made me feel angry. I couldn't figure out why, but it just did. Hearing his plead about the kids like me, it only made me realize how many more suffered after that.

"I didn't hear from any of them after that until about fourteen years later," He swallowed the tears as he finished. "It was your mom, Harry. She had kids since I last talked to her, so did your father, Niall. Everything was different, yet it was still the same."

"What did she want?" Harry asked, nervous that it would've been new words from her and not ones that he had heard before.

What if they were from after she left?

"She needed my help," Hugo replied, and I watched Harry as he narrowed his eyes on him. "You were about thirteen years old at the time. Your father was still doing what he was doing, and he was hurting Anne. She needed help running."

I could feel Harry start to crumble next to me. He knew exactly what point in time he was talking about, when his mother left him. Left him with the evil man she knew about.

"I've been watching you all these years, Harry. You too, Niall," He continued to talk, his eyes glancing over at Niall who looked more confused than he ever had. "When your mother left I promised her I'd keep you safe. That I'd try to keep all the kids safe, but I failed."

All he wanted was to protect them?

"That was the same year you rescued me." I spoke up after a few moments of silence between all of us. I just didn't understand where I came into play here.

"Right before Anne died, she helped me." Hugo said with a nod like he was confirming the mental timeline in my head. "She knew things about Martin and Desmond I no longer did. Anne knew where some of the kids were, and that's what we did the night before she died."

"The night she took my sister from me."

Hearing Harry's words was like a dagger to the heart. Every time I had to hear him talk about that night in his life, it crushes me. He was just a little boy with his family ripped away from him.

I guess we were alike a lot more than we thought.

"She took her somewhere early that morning, all I knew is that she was safe and I would watch you from there out." Hugo replied to Harry, and it made me confused. Was he protecting him this whole time? "Then that day we did something that I would continue to do every year after. We broke into their grounds and we saved as many kids as we could."

He saved me.

"You saved me that night..." The realization hit me as I realized who the people actually were. "Anne was the woman who helped carry me out of the dark room."

I remember it.

It was blurry to me at first and the memories were fuzzy, but I remember it. There was a sweet woman with an accent who promised me everything would be okay if I followed her.

For some reason I trusted her, I didn't think twice before following her. She comforted me as she took me with Hugo and a few other kids I didn't recognize. She seemed distraught that night.

I never saw her again.

"That was her," He confirmed my thoughts, with a short nod making me feel broken beyond repair. "She got caught by one of the security guards. She wasn't supposed to die, she was supposed to run free. But she did though, I watched her do it to herself and from that night on I've always made it my mission to end their games."

So, all of this time he's only wanted to help people?

"I don't understand," I said with a confused tone, my eyebrows furrowing. "Our job is to kill people. We hurt them, not save them."

"We kill anyone related to them," He pursed his lips as it connected in my head. "Whether it's shipping, supplying, or the men who do the damage themselves. That's why you're on this job right now."

It all made sense. It was like a lightbulb going off in my head. Everything connected as the circuit blew. All of this has been setup and I'm just caught in the middle of it.

"Oh." I whispered under my breath, looking down at my hands.

"Were you going to kill us too?" Liam asked cautiously, not wanting to make too much noise. I knew they all had the same question.

Would Hugo have killed them in the end?

"No, no-" He quickly responded, almost as if he was hurt by their assumption. "I knew you guys didn't know what you were really doing. You were just a part of their manipulation."

"Good." Harry muttered quietly, and I looked over at him as the silence took over us.

There was so much to think about, so much to even consider. I feel like even more of my life has been a lie at this point. Not to mention how the boys must be feeling.

"Is that why I'm here?" Hugo asked after a few minutes of blank space between us. "Did you want to know about Martin, did you see him?"

"I killed him." I deadpanned and watched as his eyes instantly widened.

Oops, I guess I was a bit ruthless with my words. They could've come out a bit smoother.

"Someone took my sister and we needed to know your involvement," Harry replied, and it made me realize he somewhat trusted him at this point. "We only have two days to find her."

"What?" Hugo's jaw dropped like that was the last thing he was expecting. "Are you serious?"

Dead.

"Yep, Harry thought she was dead till about three days ago." I replied with a nervous laugh that made me sound like I was crazy. "Oh and she's actually my best friend, River, you know her. And to top it all off, Jaxson is the one who took her and has been harassing us the past three months!"

I sound fucking insane.

"How do you know he did that?" Hugo asked like it was crazy that Jaxson would be the person behind it.

"He sent a video you dumb fuck." Niall rolled his eyes with a groan, making Hugo snap his head towards him.

Hugo couldn't react in any other way than to stay quiet. He knew he fucked up, and Niall is pissed off so he just has to take the heat.

"Let me see it..." He replied instead of saying something else that would be the wrong words. "Let me see the video, I might know where they are."

Harry hesitated for a moment, and glanced at me with a nervous look. He had his lip pulled between his teeth nervously picking at the skin. I quickly gave him a short nod to let him know it was okay.

He nervously reached for his phone before he pulled up the video for him. The second he hit play and handed the phone to Hugo, I pierced my eyes shut.

I didn't want to see it, and I didn't want to hear it. It crushed me the first time, and I never wanted to see it again. There was too much to that video that hurt me.

Everyone stayed quiet as the video quietly played in the background. Hearing Jaxson's voice and River's pleas were daggers to the heart over and over. A soul crushing silence that would soon be broken.

Broken by Hugo saying something we needed so badly, but we didn't think he would say it. The answer we all needed.

"I know where they are."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 3.3K 47
[COMPLETED] Esmereld Payne, better known as Emera or Esme, has always been a rebellious young woman. She doesn't take shit from anyone and will put s...
155 7 7
"Oh but you see sweetheart, there's so much more I am capable of. You see me from the outside, a guy who can just look at a person once and have them...
3.7M 80.6K 77
in which joelle d'amore is completing her final semester of university in the grand city of los angeles, california. when she finds herself in the pr...
437 46 8
DISCONTINUED Someone once told me "Don't ever be afraid to take risks, for they make life worth living." That has to be the wisest thing anyone had e...