Chapter Sixty Five

Jake felt like he had been walking for hours, he tried focusing on his surroundings, memorizing ever step and trees, the sun rising in the horizon and the strength of the wind; anything to get his mind off of Samantha and the agony on her face. He had hurt her, just like he had intended. Jake felt horrible. God, he was disgusting, he intake a deep breath, and close his eyes. She didn't deserve such cruelty, haven't she been through enough? The least he could have done was be gentle—he should have disappeared without saying a word. Yes—that would have been much wiser and perhaps less hurtful, at least for her, for he knew his words crushed her heart and the look on her face will forever hunt him.

"Tie him to that tree." Jake's eyes flew opened as the soldier's grabbed hold of his arms. "What's the meaning of this Stephen?" He scolded, as the men started bounding him to the tree. "Surely this isn't necessary for an execution."

Stephen place his hand to his chin, rubbing it pensively. "You are right, but I want you to watch and fortunately this isn't going to be your execution." He grinned as Jake's eyes widen. Before him, was a small wide area clear of trees, soon Bona Kirt, Jonah and Captain Jo filled the space. Hands bound behind their back they were forced to kneel on the ground, facing him.

"You---"Jake tried to lunged at him but the ropes retrained him.

"Now, now cousin, before you insult me please know that I am being generous. I could have started this show off with my older prisoners."

"Generous isn't a word I'll use to describe you." Jake sneered.

Stephen only smiled and turned to face his audience. "Soldiers! Get in position!"

The soldiers took their place behind each of the prisoners. "You would soon understand dear cousin that I'm not a man to be trifled with."

Jake watched as Jonah close his eyes and whispered what he suspect was a prayer. Captain Jo, give him a brief nod while Bona Kirt, shouted something about his Gold. Jake's mouth twitched, as his men started to laugh.

"Shut up!" Stephen shouted, looking irritated. "Be quiet!" Withdrawing his pistol, he pointed it at the men and give his next order "Fire!"

Jake held his breath and close his eyes. At least they will not suffer. He heard pistol shots...three more blood on his hands. He had cause so many deaths. "Take cover!"

His eyes open at Stephen's panicked shouts and to his astonishment, the three men were still alive and the soldiers dead around them.

Alejandro

Jake sigh with relief. Stephen turned to glare at him, holding his arm. Blood forced it's way through his fingers and Jake smirked.

"You sonafabitch!" Stephen looked around frantically for his pistol and as he reached for it another pistol shot echoed from the distance and almost pierce his outreached hand. Stephen roared and stood upright.

"Look in the dam trees!" He instructed his men and abandoning his pistol he ran in the direction of the manor. Bloody coward! God dammit! He can't let Stephen escape! He looked around frantically for any sign of his friends. In the distance, he caught someone dropping from a tree. The way they landed, he knew it was Gabrielle and then she vanished. The three men had run for cover and now hidden by the trees. "Someone better come untie me." He gritted.

"Looks like you need a hand."

Jake looked to the tree where he last saw Gabrielle and turned to the lady, cutting at his ropes. "I am not even going to ask, how you made it here so quickly."

She give him an amuse smirk. "You are a fast learner Clairwood." Her face suddenly fell as she stared off in the distance "We are about to get lots of company."