Chapter Thirty Six

Gabrielle ignored the slight movement of Alejandro's head as her fingers squeezed the excess water from the soiled cloth. Without lifting her head, she placed the cold cloth on the wound that marked his chest. It would leave a scar, and from what she noticed would be his first; Proof of his skills and cautiousness during fights. Her eyes slid close as she relish in a feeling that she thought lost forever, sadness, She remembered two nights ago, when she had awaken from that dreadful fall rather than the strong dose of chloroform and discovered his life threatening situation. From what Enrique had told her, she knew it was because of her that the prince almost died. That arrow was meant for her and Alejandro got in the way. She had never felt so scared before, scared of someone else dying because of her. She was always the strong one, the one that saves a lot of her friends. No one never had to save her. Her cold heart warmth at the thought of this handsome man risking his life for hers.

"Gabrielle, are you cold?" Alejandro whispered, solicitously.

Gabrielle smile opening her eyes, she should be the one to inquire about his welfare not the other way around. She removed her trembling fingers from his wound, leaving the cloth and looked at him with an affectionate smile. The candles did little to hide his gorgeous face as his eyes wander around the room.

"We are at Lady Candace's estate" She began giving him some answers, to his unspoken questions. "Enrique thought it was the quickest and most comfortable at the time" She would not tell him how distraught the poor man was at his condition and some of the soldiers were out still searching for his potential killer at his will. He too blames himself for the prince's injury and the past days had cause him to age ten years his senior. Gabrielle had had to suffocate laughter when he kept repeating of his death soon and what should be written on his tombstone. It was cruel to even think about laughing at someone's misery but it was uncontrollable.

A sigh escaped Alejandro's lips, and he rubbed his eyes before turning to finally stare at her. Her hair was long and curly, falling over her shoulder's and eyes a glowing green. Her attire was a white muslin gown with lace ruffles at the wrist. She looked so pure and innocent. Christ was he in heaven? But why was it so dark? Why does it look like she was glowing? He averted his gaze to the dark ceiling, trying to recall all she had just said. "Enrique, where is he?"

"Outside guarding the door." Gabrielle had had difficulty convincing the man to leave the Prince's side, it wasn't until Alejandro was getting worst and his only hope was relying on her skills to nurse him back to health. She couldn't perform her skills in front of anyone. Skills... It was the only simple word Gabrielle could find to call the curse she carried. "Do you wish for me to fetch him?"

"Not yet" Although he had to make sure, a letter wasn't already on its way to his father, Alejandro was not ready for a scolding, and lecture on why he shouldn't have personally made the trip. It's true he could have send someone else to risk the journey but it was his only chance to see his green eyes lady that hunted his dreams, too often to count. She moved from beside him and Alejandro surge upright, sudden pain shot through him and his grunts and incoherent noises in Spanish, filled the room.

"I'll be back" And she disappeared in the darkness. It was then he notice the candles at each side and the swaying of the curtains in the distance, he should feel cold in the draft and his undress state but he was not. The cloth on his wound had not fallen away at his abrupt movement. He was just about to take a peek at the damage when she appeared.

"Don't remove it" In her hands were two tea cups, she sat beside him and stretch towards him "drink this first."

He took it gingerly and brought it to his nose, he expected an unpleasing smell but was shockingly surprised when he recognized peppermint. "I wouldn't be so foolish to try kill the heir to Spain"