Part 11~Chapter Twenty ~Six

"I hope you'll enjoy the Ball, this evening. I trust it would be more amicable than His majesty's."

Samantha turned to face her husband as the carriage, maneuvered down the bumpy track, he could barely be seen in the darkness, if not for the constant shaking of the carriage that flickered the moonlight from the window across his face, but she really didn't need to see his face, to know how perfectly sculpture it was and where his eyes had been focus since they entered the carriage, her. She had not seen him for the entire day and thought, he had forgotten about the Fisher's Ball in fact, for the past days, he had been occupied, locking himself in his study, eating dinner by himself and drinking excessively. This was the first time he had address her in conversation. Samantha didn't like this behavior, clearly, he was under a lot of stress. Stress was not good for the body, and she hoped he'll enjoy himself as well at the ball.

"I believe I will, and His majesty's Ball wasn't entirely a bored, I admit it was quite intimidating as it was my first ball since my return, but I somewhat enjoyed it because of you." She bestowed, a warm smile, remembering the dance they shared and how she was very much looking forward to it again this evening.

"I'm pleased, I was able to help." He drawled. "Since I was under the impression that I'm some sort of a boar."

The mention of the word boar brought back memories she didn't want to reminisce, not only she had almost gotten kill, but her nightmares nearly caught up with her and it was terrifying. It had been years since an incident like that ever happened. "I am willing to withdraw my assessment of you, since I have witnessed the behavior of a boar and you are not that vicious." She saw the shock expression on his face and continued teasingly. "But there are other words I might find to call you, if you prove me wrong."

"As tempting as it is, to learn about your vast vocabulary, I must decline and spend the rest of the journey in total bliss over a very rare compliment from my wife." His lips quirked up into a smile, he folded his arms and gaze at her breasts. Samantha was dressed, in a magnificent beige gown with the bodice lacing at the front with pink-coloured ribbons, visible beneath it was the ruffled edges of her chemise, its feathery weight caressed her skin with every movement, but her husband's eyes seem to be doing much more than caressing her skin, it was making her heart beat out of control, body tinging yearning for his touches, she'll be a liar if she said that it was since that night, he had dreamily touched her, for, She had wanted him for a very long time and had rejected her body's hankering; Only because he was never in her reach. Only because she had convinced herself that she didn't need him....... or at least tried. One of her white gloved hands moved to cover her breasts. "You don't seem to be making much effort." She said breathlessly before chuckling softly at the startled expression Jake besotted upon her.

"You can see me?"

"Yes, it appears the carriage is not as discreet as you had imagined."

"I suppose not," He groaned, leaning back in the carriage, his face was now covered in darkness. "I'll be more discreet as to not get caught, next time."

"You meant to say you'll try not to stare?" Her eyebrows arched as she bit her lip to stop from smiling.

"No." He leaned forward in his seat. His gaze was intense as he stared at her with those gorgeous blue eyes, that would make any woman tough-tied and melt towards him and she had not been an exception. "I cannot—"

Whatever he was going to say was prevented by the harsh lurch of the carriage, a scream left Samantha's lungs when they start to tumble down what felt like a hill. Finally, it stopped, her head quickly lifted off his chest and she stared down at him with ragged breaths.