Chapter Thirty Eight

The sea was at peace this morning, it's bright clear color sparkled under the sun that had awaken only hours ago, after a long night of battering rain and thunder, the King's vessel was strong and courageous. It was created to withstand the cruelest wars at sea and weather. The ship creaked and the faint distance of chattering contributed to Jake's pain stricken head, as he stirred awake. He willed himself to open his eyes even though he knew pure darkness awaited him, his only companion in this time of distress. Since his feet step on this godforsaken ship, hell was unleashed on him. Commander Mcmillian had his soldiers beat on him like a disobedient servant, his accusation of treason may have fit well with the punishment but the Commander's cruelty was personal; vengeful. This wasn't just about the fabricated betrayal towards the King, One Jake still couldn't comprehend. Why? Jake had never met the man before but the Commander knew him, of that he was sure and it send him on edge. Did he dishonor a lady friend of his perhaps? A sister? What on earth could burn such anger?

He groan as he sit upright rubbing his swollen cheek, he was glad for the eerie darkness that prevented him from viewing the damages to his body. Each day before the sunset his captors would arrive immediately to serve his punishment. Sometimes they would come with whips other time they would use there perfectly fitted boots. It was a daily routine for Jake, and soon it had reached the point when he would be awaiting them and another day of counting would be over. Each time the commander was present. They were trying to break him mentally, physically and emotionally, waiting for him to scream and wish for death.

That was never going to happen.

Of Samantha and the others, he knew nothing about. But they never left his memory. They give him purpose to wake each day and live. Samantha. Just the thought of her brought him to full awareness, god he hope no harm had been done to her and those soldiers haven't laid a hand on her. No matter what happened, Jake had failed to protect her, reminding himself that she wasn't even supposed to be on his dam ship did not help ease the uneasy and dreadful feeling. He sigh wearily, an audible sound that echoed around him. Jake must be honest with himself for he wasn't quite disappointed that she had, His dreams had been comforted by her warm embrace and steady breathing, He loved watching her sleep, cuddled up next to him as if he was her protector from everything evil in the world. That morning before everything went chaotic, it had taken every bit of strength to leave her side and it had madden him that he should felt this way about her. Perhaps this abrupt parting was the universe trying to tell him something?

They weren't meant to be together.

Ignoring the ill feeling that came with that thought, Jake's fingers slowly brush through his damped hair, it was a miracle he hadn't suffocated by the amount of air they allowed him. The Small crack beneath the door was hardly their generosity. He knew not if it was day or night or what fresh air smelt like anymore, so he waited until his first and only meal arrived, to indicate the time of day instead two soldiers entered and bound his arms. Did he slept through a day? Was it truly time for his beating? Knowing he wouldn't get answers out of these men whom seems to ignore him, only driven by duties and instructions from their Commander, He allow them to escort him out his confinement. To his bewilderment, they carried him down a route he didn't know and one he was going to memorized by heart. Soon the ships layout would be in his head and an escape possible.

The soldiers knocked twice at the oak door and it swung opened to greet the one man that held Jake's faith in his hands. A man Jake wanted to kill more than anything in this world. "Clairwood, good you are awake" He smiled as if he was welcoming a guest that had spent a night in his household.

Without the soldiers for support Jake knees give up on him and he fell to the floor. "Oh how pathetic" The Commander smirked down at him as the door closed, leaving them alone. Then he spoke with much authority as if Jake was one of his soldier's "Come have a seat Clairwood. There's a lot to discuss."