Chapter Fifty Eight

"It's starting to rain," Elizabeth said, gazing at the sky from the small window in the cabin. "But there isn't any reason to worry it will not develop into a storm." She closed and bolted the window, getting rid of the slightly cold draft that had managed to seep through.

Samantha stilled, her cupped hands, with the water she was about to throw on her shoulders, slipped through her fingers. "Are you sure, a storm will not come?" Her voice was barely a whisper as her thoughts drifted to her first storm at sea, the horrific experience of being swept away by the waves, her body growing weary, and the water forcing its way in her lungs as the sea tried to swallow her person. The steam rising from the copper tub, did little to stop her trembling.

Elizabeth thought that a hot bath would do her bruises, well, Samantha had been using the steaming water for a while now and it had felt amazing the first time her aching body had been submerged within but at the moment coldness was all she felt. She looked down at her pale pointed knees that was visible above the waterline and draw them closer to her chest, seeking comfort. Those memories would never go away and now she had a few more horrible ones to add. Samantha tried not to sulk to much at her misfortunes, it was stealing away any idea of hope she have for the future.

"I assure you Samantha, No storm would meet us – at least not when we are at sea." Elizabeth resume her task of pouring the warm water on Samantha's bruises, from the jug. "You know what this means for us tonight?"

"No." Samantha replied, looking perplex. "I do not."

"Have you forgotten about our little mission?" The words were whispered against her ears. "Stephen and his men would believe it be a storm and be occupied above."

Samantha eyebrows quirked and she swiveled her head to look at Elizabeth. "We can visit the others!" They had been planning for days to visit Tommy and the others, but without success Stephen and his men were always patrolling, Samantha had stayed locked in Elizabeth's room listening to the footsteps and the annoyance of the steady activities, that had kept her occupied when Elizabeth was summoned to spend nights in Stephen's bed and presence.

Samantha couldn't fathom the thought of going willingly to the man's bed, it send her body crawling with disgust. After he had finally spend quality time with his wife, she was discharged like a wounded solider. Elizabeth claims that she thinks of someone else whenever she was with him but Samantha knew differently, her eyes had said it all, that she tries but it was difficult. Samantha wish there was something she could do to help, Elizabeth, doesn't deserve such treatments but she knew that they were both trapped to Stephen, in so many different ways.

"Now might be the only opportunity we have before reaching land, so out you come." The jug was placed on the ground as she rush to grab the towel off the edge of the bed.

"But my hair hasn't been washed." Samantha protested, hands involuntarily went to caress what she could feel of the tender flesh, it itches a lot and Elizabeth insisted that's a good sign but it was a nuisance to Samantha.

Elizabeth stared thoughtfully at the long curls, she managed to tie in a bun. "Well... I suppose it would have to wait until the next bath." She thrust the towel at Samantha who took it with a frowned, Elizabeth's love for her hair had wavered the first time she helped her wash them. Samantha had almost laughed at Elizabeth's frustrations when the curls got tangled and unruly. The only thing Elizabeth enjoys pertaining to her hair now, was brushing them; when they were untangled of course, and gushing about the colour. Samantha, loved the challenge and it gives her something to do in the wee hours of the night. It was her companion.

"I'll leave you to get dress." Elizabeth said, hurrying out of the cabin and locking the door behind her, by the time she return Samantha was sitting on the edge of the bed, nervously entwining her fingers.