Part 11-Chapter Three

Monsieur Lois decided to leave the docks early before nightfall not because he had a child with him but because of his weariness. He was feeling rather queasy since this morning, not wanting to disappoint the child, he had still made the journey if not for that he would have tell the lads to return his items back to his home before the morning activities started.

"Monsieur Lois, would you place me on your shoulders like a real papa?" She asked cheerfully, swinging his hand as the dock became distant.

"I'm afraid, you'll be to heavy for my weak bones, chérie."

"What about, making me wood-carved toys? Timmy's father does it. He makes the best wooden pony and horses and rabbits and kittens! Oh I do love Kittens. Do you love kittens Monsieur Lois?"

He actually hated Kittens. "Of course I do."

She squealed and grinned up at him. "Oh you are the best papa ever! Would you buy me dolls, Laura's--"

"Let me guess, Laura's papa buy her dolls as well?" His eyebrows quirked in the air as he started down into the little frowned face.

"No. Laura's papa doesn't have the money but I was thinking since you are my papa and you have money, you'll buy for me and Laura."

His jaw went slack and laughter rose from his chest. "How do you know I have money?"

She pivot her head with childish curiosity. "Well don't you? Monsieur Carl told me that the older a person is the more money they have because they have lived longer."

He frowned, not sure how that half wit-clumsy young man could speak such a thing to a child. He shook his head and sighed, when suddenly he felt a sharp pain in his chest, his hand went to rub at it, gently. It was getting worst by the day; The slight pain, shortness of breath.

"Monsieur are you feeling ill?" He had stopped walking and now stood in the middle of the road, taking steady breaths, opening his eyes, he stared into wide blue eyes. "If you are, my mama would make you feel better. She always makes others feel better."

"No, chérie. I'm fine." He reassured her and gestured for her to take his hand, silently praying he reached home safely without another spell.

Arriving at the pathway to Doctor Clairwood's home, carriages, horses and donkey's were filled with furniture and other household items as they left and empty ones enter the premises. He stood aside allowing them to pass with their haste, when the road was clear, they hurried along the path.

"Mama! Mama!" Adelynn almost collided with a sturdy man who emerge from house with a huge settee.

"Careful, little Miss."

She squeezed through the man and the door and ran in search of her mother.

***

"Mama!"

Samantha who was standing with the numerous papers in her hand, ticking off the items that were being stole while Brigitte collected the money. Turned to find Adelynn racing towards her.

"Adelynn, my love!" The child wrapped her tiny arms around her legs and grinned up at her. "How was your little adventure?"

"I have a papa!"

Samantha went rigid. "What?" Even Brigitte looked up from her counting at the child's outburst.

"Monsieur Lois is my papa!" Samantha sighed with relief. The possibility of the child finding her father was not that great. But why had she felt nervous? "And he'll buy me dolls and make toys for me!"