Part 11 ~ Chapter Twenty One (with a little spoiler)

She was living in a completely different world. The numerous chambers, large gardens, mazes, ancient forests and green pastures, Jake had told her that everything was in her hands and if she wish to renovate the place, do it. Samantha didn't want to; where would she even start? and everything was already beautiful, she did however request for drapes in the duchess's chamber; her chamber be changed from the bright blue to something softer, the maid later changed it to white. The drapes on the huge four poster canopy bed were brownish gold, as was Adelynn's nursery bed and drapes. Everything from the furniture to the tapestry was of marvelous designs. What worried her was the fact that Adelynn's nursery had a balcony though it was smaller than hers and the doors were always locked, she felt unease. The housekeeper had taken her on a private tour around the Estate the following day unlike Mrs. Simmet at Aushbory Cottage, Mrs. Ramon was a perky, friendly lady and was excited to finally have a duchess at the estate. They had only toured half of the house that day, leaving the other for the following. In all it had take three days to tour the house alone and another four for the grounds and they hadn't even gone into the forests.

Jake had told her that he'll be the one to show her further on horseback and that had enlightened her eagerness. And she had waited for days now for him to do so, her husband seems to be extremely busy these days, missing dinners, breakfast and only visiting Adelynn and her once a day. She understands that his absence over the years, had increased his responsibilities as a Duke and the transition from sea captain to a Duke, would take time. So, she kept herself busy as well, shadowing Mrs. Ramon, learning everything she needed to know about managing a household; Mrs. Ramon was even generous enough to acknowledge her on how to be a duchess, when her husband send the announcement in the papers tomorrow, she'll have to send out wedding cards, thus having lots of callers, paying visit as well, and hosting Balls and soirees, she'll also need a new wardrobe and leave it to Mrs. Ramon to already have a seamstress on her way.

***

"Alma, I'll need your assistance tomorrow, a seamstress would be coming in the morning." Samantha said, not looking up as her bedchamber door was opened. She was occupied sketching gowns for the seamstress to make, all of them fully covered.

"Yes, Your Grace," Alma slowly came and gathered Samantha's long braid in her hand and started untangling it. Alma along with many others loves brushing her hair and her efforts were welcome now that Samantha had something to do with her hands.

"How's Adelynn?" she asked. "I hope it hasn't been much of a trouble keeping her occupied for the past days?"

"Oh no, not at all Your Grace." Alma exclaimed. "I love spending time with her." As she reached for the brush, she said. "Oh, those are all so simple Your Grace."

"Yes," Samantha sighed sadly. "I missed the days when I was free to wear those elaborate gowns without worrying about my scars. What you think of these?" using her hands, she spread the five sketches before her on the desk for Alma to see.

"I don't like them." Alma answered, honestly and Samantha adore that. "But--" she reached over Samantha's shoulders and lifted the sketch that looks like the wedding gown Brigitte had give her. "This one, we can make all of them like this. You can also make regular ones and I'll pin a silk cloth at the back, making something like a shawl."

And so, when the seamstress came the morning Samantha did what Alma had suggested, allowing the seamstress to make the gowns she wanted for her fit for a duchess as well as the ones that Samantha sketched. Adelynn had her measurements taken as well, Samantha even insisted that Alma have new dresses, she was after all, a duchess's lady's maid and would need to look as such.

She was later called to her husband's study, where she read the announcement that was sent to the papers this morning.

The sea captain has found his Anchor, the Duke of Nottingham has returned with his Duchess, a beautiful siren that had captured his heart and are sure to capture yours at their upcoming introduction Ball which would be announced soon.