Part 11~ Chapter Nine

He had a daughter. Jake's chest seems to grow warmer under his palm, Adelynn was beautiful and courageous, having walked that lonely street in the night, all because she was going to find her father. Find him. A man who didn't even know she existed, a wave of frustration and anger suddenly swept over him, as he lay gazing at the ceiling, in the clustered room of an inn minutes away from Samantha's residence. He wanted something closer to his daughter and his soon to be wife, he did not like that they were living alone without protection. A woman living alone in a house, one as beautiful as Samantha, would no doubt make any man tempted to do dishonorable things. Jake's eyebrows drawn together at the thought, it took a lot of strength to leave them tonight and it was taking a great deal more not to return but he had to remind himself that she had been living here for years; years he had missed apart from her; years he had been cheated from his daughter's life but not anymore, Samantha still hated him, he would have been blind to not see the disdain on her face and it had pained him. He understood that it was entirely his fault, his eyes close upon remembering what he had said to her, years ago. It was cruel and he had lived to regret, knowing that those were the last words; the last memory she had of him. Finding her alive, was a blessing for he had the opportunity to make things right. Samantha will be his duchess; he'll be dammed if he loses her again and Adelynn would always have her father, and perhaps she'll be an older sister soon.

Jake was thrilled he came to this island, even though he was disappointed by the loss of Monsieur Jean Lois Lampton. Jake would have been relief to have delivered the message and see the man's expression that his long-lost brother, had never forgotten about him but, he sighed wearily. Lenton did say if his brother perishes, he would be the one to inform him, it made Jake feel somewhat relief.

A lit tap at his door, cause his eyes to be flown open and he went to pry the door open, already knowing who it was. "I was starting to think you were lost."

Ambrose clicked his tongue. "The cook fell asleep, fortunately for you, he had already made some bread and well, I finish the roast." He said, entering the chamber and lowering the tray of what is to be Jake's dinner on the bed. There was only the bed and an armchair in the tiny room with a fireplace, all the requirements for a proper chamber, he supposed. It certainly was an improvement from the inns of the other island.

Closing the door, Jake took a seat on the edge of the bed beside his food. "At this moment, anything would do, and I applaud you for being so efficient."

"A rare compliment, I'll take it." Ambrose stated, now reclining on the armchair. "Please inform me how long are we to stay on this island? And how quickly can you get them off the island?" taking a small flask from his pocket, Ambrose took a meaningful gulp and glance at him.

Jake took a bite from his meat, savoring the taste before answering. "Three or four days, I already made myself clear that I will not linger and getting my daughter off the island would be much easier that her mother. She's determined to fight me every step of the way."

"I don't see why she should object. Any woman in her situation would be elated that the father of their child wanted to make amends and marry."

Not Samantha Jake thought, ruefully. He had saw the way she looked at him at his unfeeling proposal and he grimaced. "She detests me, thinks I am a boor." Jake sighed, stabbing his fork in another chunk of meat. "I planned to change that and never fear Ambrose, she'll go anywhere Adelynn goes."

"So, you are using her daughter to your advantage?"

"She's my daughter as well and she needs her father- waited for me for years and now that I have found her and her mother. I would do anything to keep them."

Ambrose shook his head with a smile. "Always a man to fight for what he wants, admirable. I have to say, you would be one lucky man, Samantha's stunning and I would be honored, to protect them with my life as I do yours."