Chapter Fifty

Veronica Castlewood, lived on the east side of London where the wealthy reside as the two story townhouse came into view, Jake gripped the reins causing a halt in his advances.

"Alejandro would not be pleased that we came here against his wishes." Foxie said, bringing her horse to stop beside his.

Jake glance at her suspiciously. "Since when you care about what the Prince thinks?"

Her mouth slightly parted to say something but she stopped herself before frowning. Jake turn back to his previous view. "Besides, I couldn't wait another day until he's finish playing chaperone and I know it's been the same for you." Alejandro had requested that they visit Veronica after escorting a very persistence Sebastian to see a lady friend. Jake could not wait – Neither did Foxie who was just as eager to find her friends attacker.

"You're right—let's get on with it shall we?" And they proceeded towards the house.

A light knock on the door summoned a lady of thin figure and bright fair hair, who lifted her eyebrows at them. "How 'ye elp' you sir?"

"Good day Miss, We came to have a word with Miss Veronica Castlewood." He said smoothly, plastering on his most charming smile. The lady's freckled covered face grew a deeper shade of pink.

"Urmm ye mean Miss Imogen-- she expecting ye sir?" Her honey eyes darted between him and Foxie.

Jake exchanged a perplex look with Foxie. Amera didn't lie to them, did she? This was definitely the house. "Yes she is. And it would save you the trouble if you escort us to her right away. I'm Lord Clairwood and this is Miss Gabrielle." He saw the hesitation and added. "It's on urgent business and there's no time to be wasted."

Gingerly she nodded and open the door wider. They were escorted to the blue room where a lady sat, eyes keen on the book on her desk. "Miss, guest to see ya."

"Bita, don't interrupt me during my readings—is that so hard for you to understand?" She growled vehemently, not lifting her gaze.

"It--" Bita bit her bottom lip. "It's a Lord Clairwood and Miss Gabrielle."

At the mention of their names, Jake notice the lady stilled for a second before slowly lifting her gaze. Her dark blue eyes met his and shock was soon overcome with a dazzling smile. "Lord Clairwood," She was already on her feet, moving towards them like a gracefully swan. "I must say it's quite a surprise." She turned to Bita. "Fetch us some tea, at once."

The maid scurried away closing the door behind her. "Please," she motion to the vacant couch. "Sit." Gabrielle took a seat while Jake remained standing. "If I had known a Lord would be visiting today – a fugitive-- I would have presented myself more suitable." She chuckled, touching her bosom lightly that was fully covered the brown gown crept up her neck, stopping at the first button just below her chin. She must have had it custom made or was he so outdated to what was trending now regarding the ladies?

"Miss Imogen I presumed? I was told that a Lady by the name Miss Veronica Castlewood lives here?"

"By who my Lord?" The question was to sweetly phrase to be regarded as an innocent inquiry and too quickly answered.

"They are not important." He replied.

Her lips formed a thin line. "Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you but Veronica has travelled."

Jake felt his heart plummet. "Where?"

His question was left hanging when Bita untimely entered with a tray of tea. Jake refused politely-- at this moment he could use a bottle of brandy – tea was too mild. A cup was poured for Gabrielle, who took it from Bita's hand with a smile.