Chapter Sixty One

Fatigue was like a diseases, calling out to her like a seductress-tempting. Samantha didn't indulge in its attention. She'll have to live through the pain--stay awake. She didn't regret going to see Tommy-knowing that he's alive and he love her give her strength to carry on because, she wanted to die -Would have already set herself free of this world. A world where she was alone, filled with agony. Samantha has always been alone - Just there existing but she has a purpose now - She'll be a mother to the boy, watch him grow. Give him a good life. But she must survive this hardship-they must survive.

Her hands fisted the strands of hay beneath her as she tried to eliminate her sluggish posture and sat upright. Samantha hissed at the pain of disturbing her wounds. She didn't know how long she had been left here. It was always dark and no one came to feed or even check to see if she was indeed still alive. Unconsciously her hands moved towards her hair, a sob broke from her dry lips as she watch her fingers slipped through the ends.

The thick long curls were no more. She tried not to think of it as the cold air caress her exposed back. Tried not to reach for it when she was bored to braid. It has always been her companion. Her comfort. Now Stephen had a part of her and that disgusted her. Tears rolled down her cheeks, she didn't bother hiding them at the approaching footsteps.

"Oh, Samantha!" Elizabeth cried, dropping to her knees, she quickly discarded the basket and cupped Samantha's face, her palms warm against her cheeks. Tears leaked from Elizabeth's swollen eyes. "I am so sorry this had happened. It was all my fault....Oh no, your hair!" With a gasped she swept her hands along them as she spoke. "It-It would grow back."

"Elizabeth," The male voice held, wariness and warning and Samantha looked behind Elizabeth to see, Alan staring at them with a stern expression. "I must be quick about this."

"Yes, yes." Elizabeth nodded, rising to her feet. "We would need you to turn around. Alan would place something on the wound to ease the pain and for infection." Samantha looked at the pouch over his shoulder, how long would it last? The pain always returns. Slowly she turned and ignore the audible intake of breath from Elizabeth. Samantha was glad that she couldn't see it.

"It's worst than I thought." Alan whispered. "It would need lots of needle work."

Samantha close her eyes and inhale deeply. More pain.

His presence filled the tiny space and as he knelt behind her, the rattling of bottles echoed throughout the stables.

"Here take this." Elizabeth kneeled in front of her. "It's Laudanum."

"No. It makes me sleep." Samantha shook her head and turned away from the bottle. "I cannot fall asleep." As she whispered those words she wonder which nightmare was worst. The one she was living or the one in her dreams?

They were silent for a moment. "I'll try and be gentle." Alan said and without waiting another minute he cleaned the wound, with a substance that made Samantha nausea and gritted her teeth. After, another substance was rubbed and miraculously she felt little pain when the needle went through her skin and pulled tightly. After many hisses, nails digging into her palms, to the point of bleeding. Alan was finally finished, he didn't offer sympathy or give his opinion on what he thought of Stephen's cruelly instead, he left with an 'It should feel better that it did before.

And it did felt better.

"I brought, you some clothing." Samantha turned to see the blue gown lifting out of the basket, beneath it lots of food sat and her stomach protest. "After you change, we would eat."

"Would you get in trouble for helping me?"

"No." Elizabeth smile, reassuringly, then lowered her head. "Besides, he wanted me to come, to see his...work." She lifted her head and a sob broke from her. "You were right, Samantha, you cannot stay here. He would kill you, after torturing you to death, said that you were his entertainment. He told me as much, that night. I'll try and keep him away from you, as much as possible."