Chapter Thirty Two

Jake heard the scream from where he sat writing in his ledger. Bloody hell the entire crew and world heard it! He was already out of the cabin, just as the door of the crew's quarter flew open. Smity's weary face, suddenly came into view "Go back to sleep, I'll handle it" He dismissed, throwing his shirt over his head.

Smity watched his retreating form for a moment before shrugging his shoulders and climbing back down. He turned to some of the men that had awaken. "Miss Wavery's just having a nightmare. Captain's taking care of it."

"So we aren't under attack? That wasn't a war cry?" Smity looked above for a higher guidance at the skinny man, who had two pistols in hands. Alert. With a shook of the head, crawl back to bed wondering if Camp was ever asleep. The other men disperse from around him, all shaking their heads as they mumbled incoherently at themselves. They didn't think their fellow crew member was insane, it was the wars he had fought since he was fourteen. It made him a bit on edge; the lifeless bodies, blood, pistol shots that were embodied in his mind. Once a soldier always a soldier, you can't escape.

ﻫﻫﻫ

"Miss Wavery!" Jake ran after Samantha as she sped down the flight of stairs, he thought she was going to the Galley, but heard her sobs in the corner where the tables and chairs stood. This opening was to be where the crew would take their meals but it was hardly used, for they prefer the Deck. He followed the sounds and saw her huddled behind one of the columns. She was weeping and gasping frightfully. Jake didn't like seeing her like this. "Miss Wavery," When he reached to touch her, she immediately crawled away from him.

"No, Please leave me alone! You can't be here!" She turned and stared at him and Jake sucked in a sharp breath at the terror in those eyes. She was scared but of whom? Him? No, she must have had a nightmare. Still is...

"Samantha, I'm not going to hurt you. Let me get you back--" Jake closed his eyes momentarily, a groan left his lips as he chase after her once again. Christ, the woman was going insane! He caught her through the passageway and they both fell to the ground. "Hey, listen to me!" he held her face with both hands, forcing her to stare at him. Her entire body trembling beneath him. "Samantha," He used her name informally once more, this time it was more forceful and stern "It's me, Jake, No one's going hurt you! It's just a dream!"

She stopped thrashing beneath him and it took a moment for her to speak. "Jake?" She lifted a trembling hand to his cheek and erupted with sobs. "He was trying to torture me again...but I wasn't asleep. How could--"

Jake lifted her up off the ground and draw her nearer to him, holding her like he did Tommy when he had a bad dream. But this wasn't Tommy, this was a woman. One he had tried to stay away from. Tried to keep any of his emotions hidden from her. He stroke her soft hair and back, rubbing them gently when she kept on crying. Samantha buried her face in his chest. Her entire body shaking and her breathing increased to an abnormal rate. Christ, what the devil was she dreaming about? But she said she wasn't sleeping. Jake thought with a creased on his forehead.

Samantha shuttered at his touch, it was so soothing and comforting as it travelled everywhere, her head, back, arms. She felt so safe with him, here cradled in his arms. She didn't want to leave. Her sobs decreased and her eyes slid closed, shocked at the sudden comfort. His fingers brushed against her cheek, smoothing away strands of hair behind the ear. Her entire body came alive, she no longer felt cold but hot. Her nipples grew rigid and the mere brush of the cotton against them under his movement cause a slight moan to left her lips. Samantha had never felt this way before....this sudden urge that sends her senses wild and makes her think incoherently. What was she doing here again?