Chapter Seventeen

Samantha's head was spinning as she skipped from one man to the next. The horns and flutes, some of the men were playing provided more energy that lull her feet to keep moving. They did not want to stop, could not stop for the men she was dragged to dance with as soon as she stepped on deck was keeping her hostage. Strands of her loose hair, whipped carelessly about her face in the fragrance sea breeze; filled with burnt chicken, pork and duck; courtesy of the France. Everything she saw, she suspected was from the French ship. Stolen Goods. She supposed that they deserved it, leaving their home country to secretly invade another; her England. Her home. She had learned from one of the men, that this wasn't their first attempt and thanks to the crew of 'the spirit of the sea', they were challenged and defeated. This tallied Samantha's guilt about wronging the Duke, even more, while at the same time made her heart skipped a beat and swelled with emotions. Lord Clairwood wasn't just saving babies off the street, he was protecting his country also.

He was a man filled with surprises.

Her eyes moved around the deck, with every step she took. It helped that the men were dancing in a circle while shouting and laughing. She could not spy the Duke nor Smity. Where were they? Her distraction resulted with a slight stumble, Samantha immediately shut her eyes, waiting to meet the cold surface of the deck but a hand around her waist steadied her frame. She spun around to meet the one called, Pablo. A man that could break her in half if he wanted with his bare hands. His eyes smiled down at her, brown orbs that sparkled in the dim light of the fire that burnt in the coal pots around them.

"It's time for a drink!" He raised the dark coloured mug in his hand, Samantha had only now notice, his white shirt that hug him loosely lifted slightly showing his meaty stomach. "Avast ye! Avast ye!"

Samantha eyebrows creased. Was that French? No! It most definitely was not Spanish. Whatever it was it seems to catch everyone's attention. The musicians stop playing their instruments, the dancers stop prancing and some of the crew came closer forming a circle around them. "It's time to welcome our sister aboard men!" The crew cheered, at the top of their voices.

Sister?

Pablo then offered her the mug, with a smirk on his face. Samantha did not like that expression. It made her more eerie that he was presenting her with something to drink. Was it poison? Did the Duke send them to kill her? Her eyebrows rose as she looked from the mug then Pablo. Her denial of the offer, she realized has rendered the crew silent. It was almost as if they were holding their breaths waiting for her to take it.

It was a welcoming! Refusing the mug would meant that she was refusing their brotherhood of some sort. Did they not called her their sister? She worried her bottom lip, having no wish to slip and voiced her personal grievances.

"Take it, Samantha!" She pivot her head in the direction of the demanding voice in the crowd. Julian was gesturing for her to take it, his eyes pleading with a hint of annoyance. The lad even went as far as pretending to drink from an imaginary mug in his hands. Samantha give a faint smile then turned back to stare at the mug as Julian started leading the crew in a chant of encouragement.

Drink it!

Drink it!

Drink it!

Samantha inhale a deep breathe, allowing it to escape her lips slowly, calming her nerves. She lifted her hand and took the huge mug, nestling it between her palms. It sent the crew wild with excitement, drums could be heard in the distance, every beat moving in the same quick rhythm of her heart. The mug It felt cold, sturdy. It made her trembling fingers looked small and thin. Without thinking about anything else, she brought the mug to her lips and gulp it down. It burnt at her throat, soothing her cold body. Warming it from the inside out. She continued drinking, motivated by the crew cheering and excitement until the mug was empty.