Chapter Sixty Three

The days had passed quickly with no hazardous conditions to hinder the voyage. From one of the ships Jake stood, inhaling the fresh scent of land and contentment, as they sail to the front of Darlington Island. With Gabrielle's assistance they came in from the back of the island giving them the advantage of surprise which he had craved. Alejandro sailed to the left of the island with his ship and Jake sail the other side. He had watched, the Prince's vessel disappeared from view hiding behind the mountains. His eyes lifted to the skies, dark clouds was slowly casting over the island, giving warning of rain to come, perhaps even a storm, hair dancing in the increasing strength of the wind, Jake keep on steering.

"Captain!" Jonah, who was peeping through the spyglass, shouted, from where he was on the riggings. "You need to see this!"

Jake motioned with a flick of his head, for Bona Kirt to take the wheel and went to join Jonah, who eagerly handed him the spyglass. "Strange people are on this island, you sure you still want to--" The glare Jake give the lad, was enough for him to snap his mouth shut and look ahead. It was a wise deicide to walk with some men, as to not rise suspicions. No one would sail a ship alone especially on a vessel as humongous as this. Bona Kirt and Captain Jo was amongst them, it was too risky to bring along any Spaniards, their accents were too vivid. Jake didn't like that they were tagging along, didn't know if he could ensure their safety. Captain Stephen didn't care about them but him. His men know that and even though they didn't hesitate to follow him, he knew they were scared. He rarely meet men that's not, knowing they were potentially travelling towards their deaths.

With a stern expression he looked through the spyglass, there were indeed strange people on the island and they watched them with interest. They weren't British that much he knew from the simple clothing they wore, their darker shade of complexion spoke of the numerous hours spend in the sun, few of the ladies, grabbed their children's hand and disappeared within the bushes while some kept on looking; curiously. Jake had no business with these people, he came for his friends not to disturb them. "They are no threat to us Jonah, these people are just victims of Stephen's invasion. It was their island before---"

"The British invaded their home." Jonah finished with a sigh, folding his arms he turn to glare at Jake. "They probably hates us."

"As I said before, they are not our concern" Jake said more firmly. "Come, we need to get ready to go ashore."

Jonah nodded, taking the spyglass from his hands. Jake left the lad staring for a while before, he reluctantly climb from the riggings. They anchored, just before they reached the front of the shoreline. Gathering one of the small boats, they all got in and started rowing ashore. "Entering the unknown without a weapon for defence." Bona Kirt mumbled. "Might as well put a bullet in my head and end my agony."

"I would have if I had a pistol." Captain Jo interposed. "You know, they would just take them at first sight, no reason to carry the load ashore." Bona Kirt, grimaced at Captain Jo and remained quiet thereafter.

Jake was too occupied with his thoughts and moving his hands on the wooden paddle to care about their nagging. His eagerness was shown through the way he row the boat, the relief of finally making it to this Island was euphoric. The men finally, abandoned the boat and stepped on the black sand, some soldiers were seen parading the shore but the advantage of the shape of the island made them unseen. They crunched behind a couple of rocks looking on eagerly.

"What do we do we do now? Should we wave at them or something?" Captain Jo drawled softly.

"No," Jake whispered, following the movements of a younger solider, that disappeared further into the bushes. "Follow me." Jake started advancing towards the same direction, pushing bushes and vines out of his way, they moved through the tall forest trees. The soldier was moving further away from the shoreline, his steps determine, pausing only when he reached a small river, removing his musket and hat. He splashed water on his face before pulling off his boots and lying on his back, gazing up at the cloudless sky.