Chapter Sixty

Samantha was nervous.

"Remember address him as Captain, show no fear and look him in the eyes as you speak." Elizabeth said, taking a deep breath as the dining room door Swung opened, the delicious aroma of food, assaulted Samantha's nostrils removing any previous assumptions she made about her loss of appetite and not being able to swallow anything in Captain Stephen's presence. She was famished and in need of a decent meal.

They entered greeting him at the head of the long table, filled with abundance of food. He was dressed casually this time in a beige waistcoat and brown silk breeches, gone was his captain uniform. He sat upright from his sluggish posture and smile broadly "Ladies you look ravishing tonight. Samantha, I need you on my right. Elizabeth, you on the left." He rambled in one breath.

With much reluctance, Samantha removed her hand from where it was entwined with Elizabeth's and went to take her seat. Stephen started filling her plate first with food. "I want complete privacy tonight, so no need for a footman."

Looking over at Elizabeth, Samantha saw the slight creased at her forehead as she watched her husband moved to fill her own plate. "Do you like boil potatoes, Lady Clairwood?"

"Yes, Captain." She answered, quite steadily.

"Excellent!" He exclaimed, her plate was soon filled with potatoes. They all sat eating, silently at least, Samantha tried. There were no knife at the table everything was already sliced. There goes her hopes of stabbing the bastard. She stab at her meat until she felt the need to place piece in her mouth. She was famished but something doesn't feel right, making it difficult for her to eat.

"Tell me Lady Clairwood. What sort of man is my cousin?" He waved his fork in the air as he continued to chew, awaiting an answer.

"The Duke?" She frowned.

He leaned back in his chair. "Of course. I did inform you that we were cousins."

She must have forgotten.

"He-He's very kind." She smiled, at the thought of describing Jake as Kind. He certainly was not, on his ship towards her—for a time, but she knew through his actions and what Smity told her that he had a kind soul. She even got to experience some of his genteelness that night in his arms---Which she would never forget and one that she longed for again.

"Go on tell me more." He reached for his glass of wine.

"He adore his crew members, even though he doesn't show it and would stop at nothing to protect them and he once rescued a bunch of them from a pirate, killing all their kidnappers." The last part was of course a lie. One she hope will rattle Stephen a bit.

Stephen glance at her, slowly placing the glass on the table and chuckled. "You think he'll come for you?" He grinned, popping a grape in his mouth.

"Yes." She lifted her chin. "I believe he would."

"Hmm." He took another sip of his wine, place the glass on the table, leaned back in the chair and just stared at her. He didn't even blink once and Samantha swallowed. "Were you really on your way to Spain? I know I said you were a liar, but I am intrigued and if I find it to be true, I might perhaps be incline to offer you over to the Spaniards for a price."

Samantha's eyes widen. And a bit of hope leap in her chest. "You would?" She asked.

A pensive expression flash across his face. "No." with a grin he sat upright and began finishing what's left on his plate.

Samantha clenched her jaw, glaring at him before focusing on her plate. Dam her for hoping that, he would have traded her for money. Halley would have certainly paid and she could have informed the Spaniard of this island and rescue the others. She sighed, it sounded too simple, almost like dream, to ever come true.