Chapter Thirty One

Laughter echoed from her cabin as Tommy and Julian came charging in her room. Smity had gotten up early in the morning and left, giving her some privacy to have a bath and finish her toiletries. An hour later she was being hugged and kiss from the two young lads. Julian kept blabbering about how scared he was when he saw her plundered into the sea and Tommy kept fussing about his story. Apparently, Smity hadn't read it like she does and he wanted her to read it to her again from the beginning. The thought of Smity trying to read 'why rabbits aren't green as the grasses they eat.' was enough to send her shaking with laughter. Smity appeared at the doorway and leaned against it with his arms crossed.

"Smity" She sat upright and smile at him, it was then he notice the faint lines under her eyes. She really doesn't sleep at nights. Why had he not notice this before? Last night had been so surreal he almost thought it was a dream. She had confided in him and that made his heart swell with joy, she trusted him. "I heard you were reading stories in my absence."

"Smity grimaced. "I have never felt so silly in life. Who wrote such nonsense for a child?"

"I'm not a child!" Tommy pouted. "I am the captain's steward. Stewards are not child!"

"Oh really, then tell me. What do you do Tommy?"

"Yeah, what do you do as a steward Tommy?" Julian teased. The crew knew the Captain only give the child a title to make him feel better when he had asked what's the meaning of a first mate, second mate.......He wanted a title too.

Samantha watched as Tommy bit his lip then open his mouth to say something before closing it once again. He suddenly crawled off the bed and turned to Samantha. "I'll be right back"

Smity watched as the child walked pass him. "Where you off to?"

"I'm going to ask the captain, what I do" Then he was off running down the passageway.

Smity turned back and watched the two remaining occupants with rose eyebrows "So, should we wait or go to the Galley?"

They choose the Galley and cook was upon her the second she step foot inside. He hugged her so tightly Samantha felt like he was squeezing the life out of her. He swipe at his eyes and Smity teased him about crying which Fez denied and blamed it on the lemon tea he was brewing?

"The Lemon it has this thing...It burns my eyes"

"Sure it did" Smity mumbled, filling his plate with biscuits and blueberry jam and joined Julian who was already eating at the small table. The crew always took their plates above and eat on mornings and at times like these, he enjoy their routines.

Tommy choose that moment to burst through the Galley "The Captain says," Tommy paused reaching for Samantha who placed him on the table, disregarding cook's protest. "The captain says, I'm to keep him company."

"And?" Julian inquired.

Tommy frowned. "That's it. To keep the captain company, that's a role of a steward and I'm also his favourite" He grinned at Julian before sticking his tongue out at him.

"He just told you that to make you feel better"

"Julian!" Samantha scolded from across the room. "Don't say that"

"What? Everyone knows I'm the Captain's favourite." Julian said as a matter of fact.

Tommy cocked his head to the side. A tiny creased on his forehead. "But you have no title"

Smity almost choked on his biscuit, Samantha's mouth hung open over her teacup before she burst into laughter, Julian looked embarrassed and well cook only shook his head and mumbled that he's spending a lot of time with the Captain alright.