Part 11-Chapter Six

The children awoke early the following morning, which was exactly what Samantha had wanted. Mieave, her son Daniel, Patricia and Caroline all return to there homes. After the cook, who usually comes on morning and leave before dawn, had given them breakfast, Samantha helped dressed each of the children, for the little adventure she was taking them on; their first destination was to give Aubrey a visit, who was doing so much better, her eyes were open and she was beaming at her baby when Samantha arrived. She was still weak and had fallen asleep soon after. The children, which was a total of five were all miraculously quiet and behaved in monsieur Rosebery's sumptuous house, were treated to cakes and sweets as they wait in the drawing room and as soon as they skipped down the road once again to Monsieur Carl Mackienze cottage. It was pure chaos.

She had ran.

Cursed more than she usually did, which was almost never.

Some more running.

Shouted.

And by the time she arrived at the Mackenzie's Samantha was exhausted and when Carl offered to give them some cakes, she had shouted the no! More louder than necessary.

Viven was heeding her warning and keeping on the bed, to Samantha's relief, and after thoroughly examination of mother and baby, she packed her bag and left the house. Gathering the children, as they scream and ran with the Mackienze boys was another task and it took her longer than her patient's examination to get all of them to keep in one place.

"I want you to hold each other's hand and you are not to let go until we reach home." She said, eyeing each of them.

"But why?" A tiny voice asked, Samantha quirked an eyebrow at Pen. "We came here without holding hands, why can't we leave the same?" Penelope was a year older than Adelynn and a smart little Miss, who Samantha thinks finds pleasure in annoying adults.

Her statement cause the other children to nod their heads with agreement even, her younger brother who was just three summers and didn't understand the meaning of what had been said. Samantha leaned towards the girl. Her nose almost touching the tiny cute tip of the child's "Because my dear, Pen, I said so and if you disobey, the forest monster would catch you.... All of you." She added, standing upright.

Pen's eyes widen and each child grabbed hold of the nearest hand. Jack the older of the children of just fourteen years, shook his head with a knowing smile. "Remember to form a line when we get on the path and don't let go of each other's hand!" She said, falling in steps behind the children. They arrived later that evening with Alex and Brigitte waiting for them in front of the house. Samantha knew something was wrong, by their expressions which they tried to mask as they greeted the children and send them inside.

"This is certainly not the expression I expected after a night alone. What's wrong?"

Brigitte, blinking back tears buried her face in her husband's chest as he held her.

Samantha eyes widen at Alex, anxiously waiting for an answer.

"Samantha, I hate to be delivering such grave news--" At the mention of the word, 'grave.' "Brigitte's sobs increase. Her husband took a deep breath. "Monsieur Lois, is dead."

Tears formed in Samantha's eyes and she tried to speak but no words surface and a sob broke from her lips. The noise cause Alex to swore softly and numbly, she allow him to usher her inside the kitchen. He sat both of them down at the table and brought her a glass of water and his wife a handkerchief.

"He was such a lovely man. I have known him since I was a little girl." Brigitte wailed.

"How?" It was all she could think of saying. "How?" Samantha repeated.