Chapter Fifteen

Samantha jolted upright, the sudden knock at her cabin door was persistent. Startled, she turned towards the window, the darkness still covered the earth. The stars were out, smiling down at the living creatures, watching them as they slept like a loving mother. A confused creased formed on her forehead. Who could that possibly be at this time of the night? Her breathing became unsteady and her hands flew to her chest. Please god, don't let it be a nightmare. Samantha couldn't recall falling asleep, she was too cautious to slip into unconscious, knowing what awaits her at the end. The knock came again, a slight thud, vivid, as the one before. The sheet slowly moved from where it was settled around her human frame. Samantha swung her feet off the bed to meet the cold board flooring, her toes wiggled, wanting to welcome the assault and retreat at the same time. Even with the window shut tightly, the air around her was still chilly.

"Sammy!" A smile formed around the edges of her mouth. It wasn't a nightmare, she heard the released air that escaped her lungs, in the lonely cabin, it soothes her completely. Samantha surged to her feet, her white cotton nightgown floated around her like a fog. Sliding to the ground, she pressed an ear to the door. "Sammy you in there?"

"Yes, I am here Tommy. Have you been well?" She was bubbling with excitement to finally be able to converse with Tommy after all these days of abandonment. She missed him terribly. His laugh, cute smile that draw attention to the dimple at the left side of his cheek. A quiet moment passed, that for a second Samantha thought she had imagine it all, and then he spoke.

"Sammy I miss you" His voice was so soft she almost missed that heartfelt revelation. Samantha eyelashes fluttered rapidly, she pressed one of her palms against the cruel door that was keeping her away from the child. "I miss your cuddles" he continued, the sadness in his voice broke her. She swept at the tears that escaped her moist eyes.

"Oh Tommy I miss you so much too" She breathed. "I wish I could see you" Samantha's affection had deepen for this boy, in such a short time he had managed to capture her heart. She adored children and living with Halley's had spark that motherly instincts flame she thought had drifted off in the wilderness along with her will to live. But like the other, it had found its way back. Before the Captain decided to keep Tommy all to himself, they were starting forming a bond.

Tommy usually visit the Galley just to cuddle and converse about all the happenings above. His excitement to finally have a lady aboard and one that was willing to listen to his tales had kept him in a pleasant mood. Cook had shared his opinions about Tommy's sudden fascination with her, all was not good. He didn't approved of them growing so close but whenever they were together, Samantha caught him, giving them a tiny smile while shaking his head with admiration.

She sighed, eyes focus on the door. She wished it would open. "Sammy, the captain doesn't want me around you"

"I know Tommy" She rested her forehead against the door. "I know"

Her eyes closed momentarily, picturing his tiny body outside, ear pressed against the door and palms touching the exterior and most of all his eyes sparkling with tears. Such, a lonely image that brought back memories of her own childhood. Her mother's body lying in the cold alley as she sat there leaning against the stone wall, watching, trying very hard to hate everyone she ever loved for leaving her. She couldn't. Such heaviness was not in her heart. Once it loves someone, it could never share such vile sentiments towards them. It's safe to admit that she never loved Larry, only believed she did. She wanted to love him. The only option out of the awful brothel was leaving with him at the time. She was desperate. Desperate for a new life, a new scenery, free of sinners and vile men.

Larry had provided all of that and much more, all she had to do in return was allow him to satisfy his pleasures, which at the moment Samantha didn't know was sick and disgusting. His insanity was confined in his home and never surpasses beyond. She shuttered, shaking the unwanted thoughts away, from her mind and body.