Chapter Nine

Gabrielle placed one booted leg on the wooden armchair, she had dragged the two seats, positioning them in front of the cottage's door after standing for almost an hour. Folding her arms, she crushed the pebbles in her palms. Wishing it was a certain person neck with light blond curls.

Leo was a very reliable companion when it came to Larceny and concealing merchants. With his charming personalities and dazzling golden eyes that shone like jewels. He could escape the most complex situations and get into any lady's skirt. Except hers, if she wore any. He was a beautiful male specimen, few men Gabrielle had considered handsome and was tempting enough to question the reality of there existence, they were like paintings of one's surreal imaginations. Unworthy to be around mere mortals.

Her doubts she regarded as natural due to the sort of men she had to spend her childhood with. Her father's ships were filled with men who were always angry, grumpy and had scars in the most unusual places. It was only normal for her to be in awe upon witnessing such beauty. The features Leo possess made it easier to get near to the wealthy and desperate dowagers, widows and spinsters in England. Who wouldn't want a dashing young man's attention? His flexibility in the art of seduction was not limited to intimate bonding. He was also an amiable companion and attentive listener, some of the older women strive for that type of attention when their tumbling in the sheets days were finished.

He only listens to them, unfortunately.

Where was that dam young man!

He was not one to rely on when sent on errands. Always late, which was how she found herself sitting on the front stoop of the cottage.

Waiting.

Gabrielle heard the rustling of leaves crunching beneath heavy footsteps. She stood upright. Alert. Her hands immediately went to rest on the hilt of her pistol that was strapped around her waist by the holster. One of the many advantages of wearing breeches rather than those restrictions they called gowns. Not many persons were aware of this cottage's location by this nameless creek in London. She had planned to give it a name but the more she taught about it, the more it became nonsensical. Naming something would only make her attached to the objects and places. Staying in one place never settled well with Gabrielle. She found herself moving from one place to the other in less than three months. It had a lot to do with growing up with her father once again, there was always some sort of movement in her life. A ship never stayed stationary, it was meant to explore. Her father had said to her once when she was a little girl and her mother was still alive. It was the last fond memory she remembered before he became horrible.

A bird-like whistling, caused her hands to slowly ease off the weapon and her childhood memories to disappear. It wasn't long before she saw the golden curls shining in the sun like a ready target.

"Hey!" Leo grinned at her as he removed a piece of bush from his face. "I'm back!" That smile never works on Gabrielle. Only one person's smile had got her heart fluttering and body tingling with awareness. She had composed her body's betrayal, with much pretense as a stage actress those years ago. Gabrielle mentally shook her head dismissing another memory she rather not dwell on at the moment.

"Heyyyy!" He screamed much louder this time when a pebble struck him on his forehead. He cursed loud enough for her ears while rubbing the spot "The hell was-" The sentence was cut short when another pebble was thrown at him, that one he manages to miss.

"Gabby! have you gone bloody mad!" His eyes glistered to rage. One thing was certain he was upset. She had only seen that spark in his eyes when Lord Barton had punched him in the face for sleeping with his wife. No one messed with his money maker! And that was his face.