Part 11 ~ Chapter Twenty ~ Seven

It was impossible not to desire a man like Jake, she had planned to conjure the feeling of hatred to prevent any possible emotions to surface; They were supposed to be buried but just like everything else that had been once buried, they were always remembered. Jake had kissed her. Had touched her and if not for their arrival home, Samantha would have let him, take her. Tears slipped from her eyes, she didn't know for how long, she had sat in the Garden, dark clouds were forming in the sky, promising the pouring of rain, she should be going back to the house now, but made no effort to, the house had become a stage play with her role of the coward, hiding from her husband. Jake had come for the past two days at her chamber door, requesting an audience, Samantha had claimed to suddenly falling ill; it was a lie, and she knew he knows it was. But he had never burst through her door or scream at her; sighing she swiped the back of her hand to dry her tear stain cheek. She didn't trust her body and heart not to resist him again.

He made her feel wanton, desirable, and beautiful it was unbearable because she wasn't any of those words.

Absentmindedly, she started taking leisure walks around the garden, how could she possibly give into such feelings without chasing him away with her ugly secret? They had made love before without removing their clothes, but the circumstances were different now; he would get suspicious. God, this would be much easier if she hadn't gotten married. She tucks a few strands of hair sweeping it behind her ear, groaning when the brutal wind, disturbed them again. Things were getting even more complicated, it was affecting the times spend with her daughter, many times, Alma, and the beautiful governess who had arrived last night had to call her name numerous times to grasp her attention. A smile played across her lips as she remembered the petite little Miss, who showed up at her doorstep, Francessa Silverton, had one hand over her right eye and the other holding her trunk. Naturally, Samantha inquired and didn't realize that she would be getting a full story of how some 'inhuman species of a man' had injured her with a sling shot. It was the only time, Samantha found herself amused. She was grateful that her eye wasn't severely damaged and the reason it had took so long to heal was the fact that the cut above her brow had gotten infected, fortunately an excellent doctor had taken care of the wound and the infection was no more. Adelynn also had many questions and soon, they were of best companion. Her daughter was a natural at making friends.

"Lady Clairwood."

Taken out of reverie Samantha stopped, turning on a gasped at the source of the voice, "Ambrose! You scare me!" She exclaimed; hands pressed to her chest. "What are you doing here? My husband is not at home." Jake had left early in the morning, not bothering to knock at her bedchamber door, like the previous days. She heard him moving around through the adjoin door, she didn't know where he was off too, but was pleased to have the opportunity to roam freely without concern of meeting him.

"We returned over an hour ago." He said with one of those smiles, that always made Samantha's inside churned with distaste. "And I came to see how things are faring with you, it'd been a while since I last saw you."

"I'm doing quite well." She answered, dryly. "I shouldn't be out here alone with you; I should get back to the house."

"You were thinking about him, weren't you?" he said hastily, causing her to halt in her steps and turned to face him. A lined had formed at his forehead and his lifeless dark eyes stare at her. "I have been watching you and you didn't notice my presence. You were thinking of something...or should I say someone."

It was her turned to frowned. "What or whom I am thinking of, is no concern of yours."

"Jake's my friend, of course I'm concern." He sighed. "And I'm worried, about you. The both of you actually."

Samantha snickered. "I'm not going to stand here and discuss anything about my husband's and I marriage you." She turned and walked away, she never liked the man and wondered what qualities, Jake saw in him, to keep him around.