Part 11 ~ Chapter Thirty

From the position at the window seat, Jake had the advantage of observing the expressions on his friend's face, while at the same time keeping a watch out for his wife's arrival from her evening shopping. David and Joshua's, presence here would arise suspicion, he didn't want her to worry or ask questions he didn't quite know the answer too. He placed his glass on the window seat, after informing them of his concerns and the strange activities, which had been occurring. David's eyebrows lifted, in astonishment while Joshua sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I thought what happened to the carriage was an accident?" David asked, incredulously.

"It isn't." Joshua was the one that answered, this cause both men to stare at him. "My men, had took the carriage and examined it, it was tampered, I only found out two days ago and was on my way here, when you send the letter."

Jake stood up and grabbed the glass from the window seat. "This is just what I needed." He grumbled, sarcastically, taking a gulp of his drink. "I haven't been back for a year the least and I already have enemies."

"You seen to be an attraction for them—" At this Jake glared at David. "—I believe that this person might be close to you—think about it, all of these incidents are happening on the estate. First the carriage, it had to be the stable hand or someone in your household and now the horses, disappearing without tracks."

"David's right." Joshua agreed. "What of the two men, who were with you that night?"

Jake thought for a second, and his hands paused from taking another sip.

"They aren't here, are they?" Joshua asked, but he already knew the answer by his expression.

Jake cursed. "One of them aren't, he went to visit a relative of some sort---"

"And the other?" Joshua prompt.

"With Samantha, as we speak." Then Jake's eyes widened. "You don't think, he would hurt her—" Jake was already walking towards the door, when Joshua held him by the arm.

"Wait. Let's think this through before you go, alerting this person that we are on to him."

"I cannot let whoever this person hurt Samantha or Adelynn." Jake growled.

"Adelynn's safe, she'll stay with us until this person is caught and I believe Samantha is out of danger as well."

Jake could hear the for now, even though Joshua refused to add it to the sentence. Taking another glance at the door, he reluctantly storms towards the window, staring outside, he inhaled deeply, and tried to think. "The person that's with Samantha is not a traitor, I believe my other footman is, the one visiting the relative, come to think of it, he was the one that was so keen to inform me about the thorough checking of the carriage and the impossibilities of it being tampered. He was also, the least injured from the footmen, the small bruised at his forehead even looked staged."

"Why would someone want you dead? I thought your last threat was eliminated years ago?" David snickered.

"And in such an abbreviated time period of you being back on land." Joshua thought aloud. "Did you acquire any more enemies at sea?"

"No." Jake swallowed then turned to his friends. "I found Gold—Lots of it."

"Are you serious?" Joshua asked, stepping forward, while David gasped at him.

Jake nodded.

"Who else knows about this?" David asked, promptly.

"Just one other person." He answered. "Ambrose." He had earned his trust, quickly but it was slightly slipping, what puzzles him was why he didn't take it from him, when they were at sea? He had plenty of opportunity. Jake quickly shook his head; he was only making assumptions and Ambrose could be innocent.