Chapter Forty Six

The war would soon come to an end and they will win, he was sure of it.

Alejandro didn't know how long he had stood looking down at the map, he and the King had drawn together. But it was long enough for the King to notice. "Prince Alejandro, is anything the matter? Do you have any objections regarding the battlements?"

With a long sigh, Alejandro stood upright, placing a hand on his hip, he looked at the map one last time. "It's perfect, once we secure the country and the people are safe. We would fish them out, one by one." It makes it more complicated it wasn't about Lands and titles but personal issues that had been burning for years. The French hatred for the entire British monarch, over a treaty that was broken, was getting very wearisome. Alejandro just wanted it to be over, so he could continue trying to woo, Gabrielle, He knows she felt some sort of affection towards him and was just scared. He had felt it in the kiss they shared that night, the one she wanted him to believe was a dream.

"Very well then, I'll inform my advisors and war minister," The King said, this while rolling the parchment paper like a spear. "My son needs an escort two days from now to visit a friend. He would not stop with his nagging, its best that this visit happens before the war starts."

Alejandro nodded. It would give him the chance to leave the castle after so many days within it. Perhaps, he could pay a visit to Gabrielle and the others.

"My gratitude goes out to you and your family Prince Alejandro, You have helped me a great deal." With a few steps, he wrapped one arm around Alejandro and hugging him briefly. Alejandro would never get use to the King of England's compassionate personality. How is it that they themselves were at war with each other in the first place?

A light knock sounded at the door and the King bid them inside as he broke the embrace. He took a step back, smiled at the man that entered. "Commander McMillian, I have not seen you since your return. Where's Lord Clairwood?" The King's voice suddenly grew stern.

Alejandro eyebrows lifted to the ceiling, so this was the infamous Commander? And if he was here, then where was Jake? Alejandro folded his arms and waited for an answer. The Commander glared at him, then turned back to the King seeking a reaction or dismissal of the Spanish intruder. It's what those that disagree with his presence, mumbled behind his back, amongst other things.

"The Prince of Spain can be trusted, Commander Mcmillian." The King said with much impatience as Alejandro.

The commander hesitated momentary, Alejandro watched as his jaws clenched "Lord Clairwood and what's left of his crew escaped your majesty but fear not they are on British soil and I would not stop until the traitor is found, soldiers are searching for the criminal as we speak."

The King inhale a deep breath, disapproval marked his expression "This is what I feared Commander Jake should not be chased like a wild hog, you were to fetch him quietly and these sketches that's plastered everywhere." The King sighed and clenched his jaw.

"The guilty always run your majesty."

The King's Scolded deepened. "So as the innocent. You have failed me Commander and at this point in my life, I can't tolerate failures. From now on Prince Alejandro would keep an eye out for the Duke and you would be helping me win a war."

"With all due respect, your majesty-" The Commander didn't get to finish that sentence, as the King's angry voice interrupted.

"My decision is final! You have been summoned in the throne room, I can't have my first commander frolicking around town looking for one man when there's a country that need to be saved!" King Darton took one last glare at the Commander as he left his study, in a rage. Alejandro followed close behind, he watched as the King disappeared down the hall and swiftly he went too hid in one of the many dark corners in the castle. The Commander finally stepped out of the Royal Study, looking utterly furious. Footsteps moved towards him and soon, he was conversing with another. A solider?

"I want you and my men to capture Jake Clairwood before that Spanish fool does!" The Commander grunted.

"The King wasn't pleased, I presumed?" The other man asked.

"Goddammit just do what I said!" They both went off in opposite directions, Alejandro watched as the Commander scratch a spot on his hand before muttering curses, that bounce off the thick walls of the castle.

Alejandro stepped out into the light and leaned against the pillar a few moments after, his expression pensive, mouth twisted into a smirk of amusement. "Spanish fool? We will see Commander." He mumbled.

"Indeed." Alejandro stood upright, with a startled expression he turned to see the young prince of England staring at him quite amuse with folded arms.

"How long have you been standing there!" Alejandro does not like to be spied on, it was already worse that they didn't trust him even after pleading his peace.

Prince Lucian shrugged, nonchalantly "Long enough to notice you were eavesdropping on the Commander but I'm more eager to discuss how I have been excluded from most of your plans with the lovely lady also I came to inquire if my father had mentioned anything to you about my released?"

"Released?" Alejandro eyebrows rose with bewilderment.

"Prince Alejandro, you know what I'm talking about. I have been trapped in this castle for weeks! To make matters worse my friend's in distress." Prince Lucian pulled out a small parchment from his pocket. Alejandro grabbed it from his hands, flipping it open he began to walk back to his chamber.

"You see how urgent, the letter is?" Prince Lucian said, peeking over Alejandro's shoulder as he tried to keep up with his long strides. "It says here that one of her cousins are missing—"

"I can read English Lucian!" Alejandro gritted when Lucian tried to point at the words in the letter.

"My apologies." The young prince cheeks grew flustered.

Alejandro heaved a sigh and stopped to look at him. "This lady friend of yours, can she be trusted?"

Lucian nodded.

"Very well then we leave in two days."

"But..." The smile quickly faded from Lucian's face as he waited for Alejandro to continue. "We have to make a stop first at Gabrielle's."

"That's not a problem." Prince Lucian's smile broadened.

"Your highness!" A solider came walking briskly towards them.

"Yes." The two princes answered, giving the solider their full attention.

The soldier hesitated momentarily before bowing in front of Alejandro. "There's a lady here to see you, your highness."

Alejandro heart leapt out of his chest. She came to him! Does this means that she missed him as much as he did? Or was it something else? As much as he hates to admit, it was sure to be the latter. "Where is she?"

"This way your highness." But it was not Alejandro alone that was following the solider.

"Lucian, don't you have somewhere else you are to be?" Alejandro didn't hide the irritation in his voice.

"If this is your way of trying to get rid of me, it will not work Alejandro." Prince Lucian said in a hush tone. "You have kept me in the dark for too long, don't you dare forget our deal."

There was a threat hidden somewhere in that lastsentence, Alejandro didn't get to scold the young man for the solider was already pushing the doors of one of the royal blue room open.

***

Don't forget to vote and comment 

Thank you!