What It Used To Be

This is gonna be 3 parts. This part (part 1) is based before the events of Rebels. Enjoy!

Also the events in this chapter take place at different times. And I'm not doing Chopper because I really have no ideas for him.

- - -

"Master?" Caleb Dume looked over, seeing that his master was in deep thought. He gently nudged her arm, "Master... I-"

"You lost focus?" Depa Billaba smirked, not opening her eyes. She chuckled, "no. You have a question."

He nodded, "Yes."

Depa opened her eyes, facing her padawan, "Maybe I'll have an answer."

Caleb smiled at her response, then frowned when he thought of his question. Depa noticed his change in expression, placing her hand on his shoulder, "What is it..?"

"Do you think we'll survive the war?" He asked, "do you think we'll win?"

She looked away from his curious eyes, unsure what to say to him.

Although attachments were forbidden, Depa had learned to love Caleb as a son. And he was still only a child. How do you tell a child that you have doubts in the Jedi? The order that he was being raised in. The order he was trained in.

"I wish I had an answer for you, Caleb..."

"Do you think we're going to die?"

"No," she replied quickly, "but you know there's always a chance I'm wrong."

"Oh..."

"Don't worry," she brought her gaze back to his, "I think this was will go on for a long time. It could go through changes. You and me may not live to see the end of it. But it will end."

"I understand."

"You have more questions for me?"

"Are you scared?"

"For the war?"

"I guess..."

"No."

"Are you scared of dying?"

"No." He nodded, as his master turned her body to face him completely, "you want to know what I'm afraid of?"

"Yes..."

"Losing my troopers. My master. Losing my padawan."

Caleb frowned, then quickly hugged his master. She smiled, holding him tightly, as Grey called out from somewhere else in the ship,

"Approaching Kallar!"

- - -

Isval and Cham had still not returned home, and Hera Syndulla was beginning to get anxious.

The last few weeks had been a living hell, as her father had stated. The Jedi Order had fallen. The Sepritast Army was shut down. And yet, Hera's father told her the war was just beginning. A new war? He didn't answer.

But he said Ryloth was more dangerous than ever. He said not to leave the house without him and her mother.

Where were they? Hera had been waiting for hours! The rally couldn't have taken that long. Isval said it was only a peaceful protest.

"You know the rules Hera." Cham had told her just before he left. "Say them to me."

Rule 1: Don't leave the house.
Rule 2: Don't use the holonet.
Rule 3: Keep a blaster nearby.
Rule 4: Don't let anyone in.
Rule 5: Survive.