Life After Death

NOT CANON FOR KY 

HEHEH

- - - 

A sob escaped Hera's mouth, as the Phantom re attached to the Ghost. She had been contacted by R3-A3 hours before. Something had happened on Ky's recent mission. She had been captured. And now she was gone. 

Her daughter laid on the ground of the Phantom, her eyes wide open. Her throat was slit, she was beaten and bruised. Her body laid still. 

Hera collapsed to her knees next to her, cradling her child's body, rocking back and forth. Her mouth opened to cry, to scream, but nothing came out. 

From the ramp of the Ghost, others saw the scene in the smaller of the ships. Chopper beeped sadly, knowing his companion was gone. Zeb held back tears as he struggled yo remain standing. He couldn't force himself to walk over to the twi'lek, as she clutched her daughter in her arms.

"No!" someone yelled, as Mart Mattin let tears fall down his face. Jonner and Gooti held him back from running over to Ky, as the boy collapsed to his knees, sobbing. His body shook, "Ky..." Gooti and Jonner shared a look, both of them heartbroken. 

Hell. Everyone was heartbroken.

- - - 

Hera sniffled, laying her daughter's head on her lap, tears streaking Hera's face as she stared down at her beloved. 

"Momma...?" Jacen whimpered, sitting next to her. Hera couldn't form any words. No soothing lullabies, no forehead kisses. The child looked down to his older sister, crying and reaching for her hands. The boy clutched her shirt, hoping she would wake up. 

"Come 'ere kid," a soft voice said from the doorway. Jacen stood up, taking another look at his mother and his sister, before going over to Zeb. The lasat picked him up, holding him close, his eyes watching over Hera and Ky's body. Zeb frowned, pulling the boy closer, "Hera... we're on Lothal."

She wiped her eyes, nodding a little, "I just... I need a minute with her alone."

"I understand," he let out a sigh, "take your time."

"Are you okay..?" she asked softly, "are the others...?"

"Everyone's taking this hard," he frowned, "she was close with just about everyone."

"Yeah..." Hera pressed a kiss on Ky's forehead, wiping her hair out of her face, "why did it have to be her..? Out of all of us..."

Zeb looked down, unable to say anything. He wished it had been him. More than anything. 

- - - 

A pair of shaking hands lifted the green pilot suit from where it was thrown onto the bunk a week ago. Mart held back tears, clutching the fabric between his fingers. She had left it on his bed. The night before the mission, they had slept together. The last time he felt her warmth against his body. It still smelled like her. Her pilot suit smelt like her. Mart held it against his face, closing his eyes. Trying to act as if she was still there. 

"I'm so sorry..." he cried, pressing a kiss onto her clothes, "I'm so sorry this happened... I should have been there..."

If she was there, she would have wrapped her arms around him. She would have kissed him a thousand times and wiped his teary cheeks. She would have stayed by his side until all the pain was gone. 

His pain wasn't going away any time soon. Unless she could come back somehow. She was dead. That thought couldn't leave Mart's mind. 

- - -