Sabine Sees Ezra (Part 7)

this is somewhat of an epilogue to the Right Behind You one shots, Yes this was an old one shot I wrote a long time ago- but it's updated a little to fit the story. 

Based off the OST by Kevin Kiner "Sabine Sees Ezra"

- - - 

Sabine stood on the ramp of the Ghost, brushing her hand over the paint on the walls. It was good to be home. Sad, but good. Beside her, Hera and Zeb were standing on the ramp, silently looking at the sunrise on Lothal. 

"We've tried everything..." Hera sighed, "he's just gone."

"None of our contacts know anything?"

She shook her head, "No..."

Sabine frowned, "He had to have made it."

"Sabine, everything happened so quickly..." the twi'lek placed her hand on her stomach, something she had been doing a lot lately, "I want him to be alive. I really do."

"Did he know?" Zeb cut her off. 

Hera looked to him opening her mouth to say something, but didn't know what to say. She shook her head.

Everyone was packing up the base. There were a few ships that came with Kallus and the others to help. Sabine never felt so defeated, if the Empire came back to Lothal, they weren't going to be able to help that time. 

"What happened..?" Sabine muttered, looking to Hera. Hera rose a brow, even though she thought she knew what the girl meant, "to Kanan. You guys never told me."

"He's gone..." Zeb responded.

"We saw it happen." Hera looked in Sabine's direction, but avoided eye contact. Sabine had never seen the woman look so exhausted and broken. Not ever. And Sabine had been with Hera for a good seven years. 

"We're just about to head out!" Mart called to them from the Sato's Hammer, where he and Gooti stood on the ramp. Hera nodded, looking back to the sunrise. There was a chance this was her last time she'd ever be on Lothal. 

"We buried Kanan near Ezra's old tower..." Zeb told Sabine, "I can show you, if we ever come back."

Sabine nodded, crossing her arms over her chest, "Yeah..."

Hera was the first to walk onto the hanger bay, turning her back on the red and orange of the sunlight. Zeb was next to follow her, as Sabine stayed put. She couldn't.

She couldn't.

"Sabine!"

Her heart stopped at that very moment. Tears filled her eyes. 

A figure stood in the light of the sunrise, the same one that called her name. 

Hera and Zeb turned back, looking at the figure with hope in their eyes. 

Sabine ran before she could even think about it, a mix between a cry and a laugh escaping her mouth, 

"Ezra!"

Once she caught up to him, she didn't even think before jumping into his arms, sobbing onto his shoulder. He sniffled, hugging her back as they cried onto each other. No words were needed. 

Hera looked to Zeb, her jaw dropped, "Oh... oh my..." She ran towards the two, Zeb following close behind. Ezra looked up to them, parting from his hug with Sabine and walking over to Hera. He felt like he was going to collapse, but found himself safe in her arms. 

She pressed kisses all over his cheek and forehead, "How..." she squeezed him tight, pressing another kiss on the top of his head, "you're here."

He nodded, parting from that hug to be embraced by Zeb's big arms. Ezra wanted to say something, but once more he found himself speechless. Zeb found himself the same way, as he held his little brother in his arms, letting a sigh escape his mouth. 

Chopper rolled himself over, resting his dome on Ezra's leg while the boy stayed in Zeb's arms. Ezra's hand reached down, patting the droid.

Ezra smiled, turning back to face his family. Sabine embraced him in yet another hug, this one quicker than the last. He smiled, for the first time in days, he smiled. 

Once they parted from their embrace, Ezra looked around, "Where's Kanan..?" His smile faded away when he saw Hera's eyes fill with tears.

"He didn't make it..." Sabine spoke up, frowning. He nodded, taking a deep breath. 

"You guys are okay..?" he looked around, checking each and every one of them for a sign of injury. Sabine once again responded for them, nodding, 

"What about you?" Hera questioned, placing her hand on the boy's shoulder. He nodded, scratching the back of his head, 

"I think so," he answered, "getting back here. It's all blurry. I don't even know how I-"

"Ezra?" Two figures walked over, both of them coming from the Ghost. Ezra smiled, seeing Rex and Kallus come into his sight. 

"It's me." Ezra chuckled.

Rex chuckled, placing a hand on Ezra's shoulder. Kallus simply nodded at the boy, but there was a small smile on his face too. 

"Rex..." a voice muttered from behind Sabine, from the same direction Ezra came from. All attention was turned to her, as Rex's eyes widened. 

"Commander..."

Ezra realized how he got back home. She brought him back. She saved his life. 

"Ahsoka."