Fighting (Modern AU)

Sabine sat against her door, her knees against her chest. She could hear her parents screaming from downstairs. Her younger brother was in the next room over, crying. Her older brother was still at school, and Sabine wanted him home so badly, to help calm her parents down. Honestly, she was too scared to try it by herself, and with Zeb not home, she had to make sure Ezra was okay. She knew how heartbreaking this was for him, he was the youngest, and every time their adoptive parents fought, he was reminded of his birth parents fighting.

Sabine was also heartbroken when they fought. It made her  think they would leave, since there had been times when her parents left after big fights. The last time her father left after fighting, he was gone for a few days. The last time her mother left, she was only gone an hour or so, and came back. As soon as her mother was back, she held Sabine and Ezra close. Her parents usually were still mad at each other, and one of them was on the couch usually when they all went to bed. The only happy time Sabine remembered after they fought was when her mom came back so late at night, and held all of them tightly. Both her mother and father let Sabine and Ezra sleep in their room, and Sabine remembered hearing her parents talking so late at night.

"I'm so sorry, love." Her mother had said to her husband.

"Yeah..." he replied, mumbling. He faced away form her, still angered by everything. She placed her hands on his head, gently brushing them through his hair.

"Kanan, come on. I know I hurt you..." she stated. He slowly looked back too her, smiling a little.

"I'm glad your back..." he replied, kissing her forehead. He turned to face her as they kissed on the lips. Sabine laid still in between them, trying not to let them know she was awake. Ezra was sound asleep, tears had streaked his face.

Sabine heard the yelling stop, and the door slam. She let out a cry and buried her head in her chest.

"Sabine? Ezra?" her mother called out.

"Mom..." Sabine cried. The other door to her room opened, the one that led into her parent's room.

"Hey, it's alright." Her mother cooed her. Sabine snuggled into her chest as her mother sat besides her.

"Did dad leave?"

Hera sat there for a moment, not looking at her daughter. Sabine let out another cry, realizing this might be the time where her father didn't come back. Her mother grabbed onto her, holding her closely.

"I bet he'll be back, he wouldn't leave any of us for good." Hera stated. Sabine gave a small nod as the door to her brother's room opened.

"Mom?" Ezra cried out.

"It's okay baby." She replied. He walked over, sitting on the opposite side of his mother.

"When's Zeb gonna be home?" he asked, changing the subject. Hera wrapped her other arm around him, smiling.

"Soon." She responded. "You two okay?" They both nodded and leaned against their mother. Sabine let out a few more cries.

The hours passed and the family, minus Kanan, were all sitting around the dinner table. Hera rubbed her hand over Ezra's, trying to comfort him. Tears were still dripping from the two teens eyes, Zeb was trying to help comfort them.

"Should we try and call him?" Zeb asked. His mother looked up, shaking her head.

"No, the last thing he'll want to hear is my voice. It'll make things worse." Hera told him. He nodded and Sabines told up, walking away. Hera watched her as she walked upstairs.

"I'll go sit with her." Zeb muttered. Hera nodded and watched as her oldest son walked into the same direction as his little sister. Hera sighed, placing her head in her hands. Ezra watched her, staying silent. Hera looked up, smiling at him.

"How yo doing, you okay?" She questioned. He shrugged and moved his fork around.

"I guess....I just-" he paused. "Never mind."

"Hey, you can tell me." She told him, rubbing her hands back over his again.

"Are you or dad ever gonna get a divorce? You guys fight so much..." he asked. Tears where forming in his eyes.

"Oh Ezra...." she muttered. "Dad and I love each other very much. We may fight, but you and your siblings fight too. And you still love each other. When he leaves, and when I leave, we're both just trying to blow off steam. But we'll always come back."

"You promise?"

"I promise..."

---

Kanan walked into the house placing his keys on the table.  It had to be about three in the morning. His wife was sitting on the couch, wrapped in a blanket. She was sleeping, and tears had streaked down her face.  He sat besides her, wrapping both his arms around her.

"Hey..." he mumbled, hoping she'd wake up.

"Hey." She replied. he smiled at her, kissing her on the lips.

"I'm so sorry..."

"It's okay, I'm not too mad. I just wish you were home more, you know?" She explained. He nodded.

"I wish I could, but My schedule is crazy, especially this time of year." He replied, kissing her again.

"I know." She responded. "Love you."

"Love you more."

"Love you most."