Protection

"We're happy to have you, Kallus." Hera muttered, as she walked into the common room. Most of the crew was there, Sabine was most likely off in her room.

"Thank you." He replied, looking at everyone. Ezra smiled at him, the best he could at the time. Kanan just faced where ever he thought Kallus and Hera were, but he was wrong. His emotions had messed him up, making it hard to sense everyone and everything around him.

"I'm sure we all no each other by now, but just in case," Hera started, as she told Kallus who everyone was.

"And the Mandalorian?" Kallus added, remembered the girl he had faced, and helped, at Skystrike academy.

"She stayed back with her family for a little while, she got back when she came to help us, so she probably is off on the Ghost somewhere." Hera explained, "Her name is Sabine, by the way." 

"Got it." He muttered in reply. He didn't let Hera see it, but he continued to look over to Kanan every once in a while. The mask, the blank expression on his face, the looking in a different direction than everyone else.  It was bothering him, he needed to know what had happened. This man, he trusted Kanan now. He needed to know.

---

"Hey, everything alright?" Hera asked, as she walked by Kallus in the hallway of the Ghost.

"Yeah, I just have a question...if you don't mind." Kallus replied. Hera nodded and looked at him, as he asked, "What happened to Kanan?" Hera's expression softened, realizing that Kallus hadn't known Kanan as a friend when he was blinded and when Ahsoka lost her life.

Hera wasn't sure if she was going to be able to tell, without falling apart. She already felt something tearing her apart from the inside already.

"Do you mind if we talk later?" Hera questioned. Kallus nodded, as she walked away, muttering, "Thanks." He wasn't stupid, something was going on with Hera. He wanted to know, see if something happened to all of them that he might be able to help with.

---

"Hey, what's wrong?" Ezra asked, as Hera rushed past him and Kanan and went straight into the refresher. The door closed behind her, leaving Ezra and Kanan clueless.

Kanan guided Ezra into the common room, but they both stopped when they heard a violent coughing from inside the refresher. Kanan walked back telling Ezra,

"Why don't you go check on Sabine? See if she needs anything before she heads back to Krownest." Ezra nodded, but gave Kanan a worried look. Of course, Kanan didn't know about it. Ezra walked off, knocking on Sabine's door.

Meanwhile, Kanan knocked on the refresher door.

"Leave me alone!" Hera yelled from the inside. Kanan sighed,

"Hera, it's just me."

He heard her stop for a moment, then she replied, "Can you come in here?"

Kanan's heart dropped at this statement. Her voice, it was filled with fear and sadness. Hera. His Hera, was afraid of something? He opened the door, feeling his way around for Hera. She grabbed his hand, he realized she was sitting on the floor against the wall.

"Hey, what are you doing down there?" He asked, in worry and sadness. He sat besides her, facing where he knew she was. He listened for a moment, hearing his beloved crying. He pulled her into a warm embrace, wondering what was doing this to her. Was she okay? Was she hurt? Would she live?

"Kanan..." she cried, as they parted. He held her hands tightly, as reassurance that he was there for her.

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay." He cooed her, "What's going on?"

"I don't know..." she cried, as she sat up against his chest, "Kallus asked me what happened to you...you know? Your eyes...."

"Oh Hera, don't be sad about it. I'm okay, really. Just worry about yourself." He told her.

"No, Kanan its not that!" She replied. "When he asked me, I could tell something was wrong, but I thought it was from the idea of talking to someone about it."

"Hera, what's going on?" He asked, getting more and more concerned for her.

"I don't know!" She yelled. He held her closely, letting her cry for a moment.

"Easy, take it easy. Alright?" He told her, as he placed a kiss on her forehead. They loved each other, they both knew it. Sometimes they just couldn't show it.

"Yeah, okay..." she muttered as she took a few deep breaths. He smiled, as he could sense that she was calming down. That calmness was swept away in a second, when she started vomiting again. He placed a hand on her back, realizing how much pain she was in right now.

"It's alright, it's alright." He told her, as he gently rubbed her back. Tears fell from her eyes as she wiped her mouth with her sleeve. She leaned back against him, crying.

"Stay here, please." She cried, as she rested up against him.

"Of course," he stated, "but you need to tell me whats wrong."

"Kanan, I-"

"Hera, just talk to me." He cut her off.

"Okay, okay..." she murmured, "I have been really sick lately. I thought it was stress, from the attack. But now that isn't happening and we're all safe and sound. But I'm still-"

"Hera, when was the last time you got some rest?" Kanan questioned.

"It's been a while...." she muttered, looking up at him, "Kanan what I'm about to tell you...don't tell anyone else okay?"

"Of course."

"I'm too scared." She cried. His expression softened, as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Oh, Hera." He muttered. She let a out a cry as she snuggled against his chest. He pressed a kiss on top of her forehead, noticing that she was calming down a little. Her breaths went from quick to soft, deep breaths. Kanan smiled, realizing she was falling asleep. He picked her u, making sur eyer head was still resting against his chest. 

"Kanan?" she whispered, keeping her eyes closed. 

"Shh, it's okay." he cooed her, as they walked into her bedroom. He paced her on the bed, covering her up in a blanket. She grabbed his hand, 

"Will you stay?" she questioned, softly. He nodded, as he watched her fall to sleep. He made a promise to himself, that she would always be safe with him, that nothing bad would happen to her. He never wanted to see her in pain or afraid. 

She was under his protection.