41. Secrets

Jane: Leah, what is going on?

Leah: I can't tell you right now. Let's talk about it tonight; when we are by ourselves. No one, I repeat, no one should get to know about this. Especially Taehyung.

Jane: Oka-

Taehyung: Girls, here's some orangeade. Help yourselves.

Taehyung holds out a tray towards Leah and Jane.

Leah: Thanks!

Jane smiles at him as he passes the juice around to the others. They talk for some time and later head to the dining room for lunch. As usual, Jin's preparation doesn't fail to impress them.

Rachel: I feel so guilty that you cook for all of us every time.

Jin: Save your guilt and shower me with your compliments. How's the food? Is it alright? Too much salt? Too spicy?

Leah: It's perfect. Just perfect. Thank you.

Jin: But you've hardly served anything on your plate!

Leah: I'm not that hungry. But trust me, the food is great.

Taehyung takes a seat beside Jane and leans close to her.

Taehyung: Well, did you ask Leah about it?

Jane: Huh?

Taehyung: You know, about the phone call?

Jane: Uh...oh yeah. It's just some wrong number that's been calling her time and again.

Taehyung: Really?

Jane: Yup.

Taehyung: That must be some wrong number to make her so upset. I mean look at her. She's picking on her food with her spoon as though she's drawing a race course on the plate. Something's definitely fishy. Are you sure she hasn't mentioned anything to you?

Taehyung stares at Jane, trying to gauge her expressions while she comes up with some explanation to ward away Taehyung's interrogation.

Jane: Oh, don't worry too much. She seems upset because...

Taehyung: Because?

Jane: Uhm...because...

Jane: How do I get out of this situation?

Taehyung: Hmm...she definitely knows something. I can sense it. I have got to know what it is!

Jane: Because of you know...

She raises an eyebrow as though implying the obvious. Taehyung mirrors her by raising both his eyebrows in confusion.

Taehyung: I know? What?

Jane: Because of it.

Jane: WHAT AM I EVEN SAYING??!!!

Taehyung: It? What is 'it'?

Jane: Umm....you know...that phase...it is that time of the month when...

Jane: Oh God, I cannot believe myself. I need to stop talking. What the hell am I even saying?

Taehyung: What time of the month? You mean Christmas?

Jane: No!

Jane sighs and throws her hand in a facepalm.

Hoseok: Yaah, you both really need to stop talking and finish your food fast. Everyone's done except the two of you.

At once Taehyung and Jane look straight ahead like guilty children and eat their food silently. After lunch Taehyung trails behind Jane demanding for a more meaningful explanation as to what is wrong with Leah and what she meant by 'that time of the month'.