Chapter Thirty One

"Alright, so let me get this straight

"Alright, so let me get this straight." Steve began, as him and Dustin were throwing raw meat on the ground. Natasha was far behind, not able to hear them much due to her being stuck in her thoughts with the girl named Emily, who said she was now in Hawkins. "You kept something you knew was possibly dangerous, in order to impress a girl, who you just met?"

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things," Dustin motioned a hand out.

"I mean why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asked.

"An inter-dimensional slug? Because it's awesome!" Dustin defended.

"Well even if she thought it was cool... Which she didn't - might I add, I- I just-I don't know I feel like you're trying way too hard." Steve replied.

"Oh yeah? Says the one who buys gifts for the girl he likes all the time yet does nothing to act upon his feelings." Dustin snapped, and Steve quickly looked back to see Natasha walking behind them mindlessly, no emotion on her face and her eyes a burning bright blue.

"Shut up!" He whisper-yelled, "She's going to hear you."

"You didn't deny it," Dustin said, instead of acknowledging the other boys scold. "Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?"

"It's not about the girl, man..." Steve now walked next to the boy. "The key with girls is just- acting like you don't care."

"Even if you do?" The curly haired boy glanced back at the blonde.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts." Steve shrugged.

"Then what?" Dustin asked, dropping more meat on the ground. Steve looked back at Natasha as he dropped a piece behind him, noticing the worried look on her face.

"You just wait uh- till you feel it." He answered, looking back ahead of him.

"Feel what?" Dustin asked.

"It's like before it's going to storm, you know? You can't see it but you can feel it, like this, uh, electricity, you know?" Steve asked, looking at the boy next to him.

"Oh, you mean like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere-"

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no," Steve cut the boy off. "Like a... Like a sexual electricity." He spoke the last part quietly, not wanting Natasha to hear even though she'd already been preoccupied with a conversation in her head. It sounded crazy, but if you took one look at her eyes, it didn't seem so crazy after all.

"Oh," Dustin said.

"You feel that-" He pointed at the boy. "And then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin asked, and Steve cringed.

"No, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Romeo." He shook his hand side to side.

"Sorry," Dustin mumbled.

"Sure, yeah. Some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive," He began. "You know, strong, hot and heavy, like a- I don't know, like a lion."

"Mmm," Dustin said, thinking about the advice he's been given.

"But others? You gotta be slow, gotta be stealthy, like a- like a ninja." He finished.

"What type is Nancy?" Dustin asked. "No, wait, I don't really care. What type is Natasha?"

"Nancy- Nancy's different, she's not like some girls." Steve answered, ignoring the last part.

"Yeah, she seems pretty special I guess. But you kind of ignored my part about Nat." Dustin looked to the ground as he threw the meat.

"Hey! Only I call her that, find another nickname." Steve pointed a finger at the boy. "And Nat? She's got even more differences. Like I can't explain it, there's just something about her."

"Now she's even more special. There's no I guess about it," Dustin said. "But this girl- this girl's pretty special too, there's just something about her."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Steve stopped the boy. "Hey, hey, hey."

"What?" Dustin asked, turning to him.

"You're not falling in love with this girl, are you?"

"You're not falling in love with Natasha, are you?" Dustin retorted, causing Steve's eyes to widen and his face to turn red. "But no, no."

"Good. Don't." Steve said, beginning to walk again.

"I won't." Dustin started to walk with him.

"She's only going to break your heart and you're way too young for that shit." Steve mumbled.

"You know Natasha wouldn't break your heart, right?" The boy asked, Steve's eyes snapping over to him.

"What?"

"I'm saying, she likes you, and she'd never break your heart. She's different from Nancy, she actually cares about anyone and everyone." Dustin replied, "She's not rude to younger kids like Nancy is, she's been through a lot and still manages to love lots of people. There's a lot you don't know about her still, but you'll be surprised after figuring those things out that she still manages to care for other people even though she's treated like that."

Steve stayed quiet, glancing over at him. He then lowered his voice, deciding to change the subject slightly. "Faberge."

"What?" Dustin asked this time.

"It's Faberge Organics." He pointed to his hair. "Use the shampoo and the conditioner and when your hair is damp... It's not wet, okay? When your hair is damp-"

"Damp." Dustin repeated.

"You do four puffs of the Farrah Fawcett spray." He finished.

"Farrah Fawcett spray?" Dustin asked with a light giggle.

"Yes, Farrah Fawcett." Steve stopped again, looking to the boy. "You tell anyone about that, and your ass is grass. You're dead, Henderson, you understand that?"

"So if I told Natasha right now? You'd- you'd what, kill me?" Dustin asked, a small smile on his face.

"Tell her and see what happens," The older boy threatened, but when Dustin turned, he frowned, causing Steve to look at the girl also.

Only, there was no girl standing behind them like before, walking slowly as she was lost in her own thoughts.

--

Shorter, but I'm sorry! This was the perfect way to end it and hopefully this is going to be the shortest chapter of the whole book. I got my nails done yesterday for the WDW concert I'm going to in a couple weeks so it's REALLY hard to write. Like I can easily type but the way I'm doing it is so hard it's cramping my fingers, especially my left pinkie.

But I'm going to begin writing the next chapter now. Please vote and comment! Thanks for 2k reads!