Chapter Forty Four

"Alrighty, one scoop of chocolate

"Alrighty, one scoop of chocolate. That's a buck twenty five," Steve explained, handing off the ice cream cone to the girl in line. "Anything else?" He asked, as the girl paid. "Ooh, Purdue," He said as he noticed the college shirt the girl was wearing.

"Yeah, I'm excited." The girl smiled, the thought of going to a nice school exciting her.

"Yeah, you know, I considered it-" Steve put the amount in the register. "Purdue, but then I was like, you know what? I really think I need some real life experience, you know?" He asked, not noticing the looks the two girls in front of him were giving each other. "Before I hit college, I want to see what it feels like. See what's it like to, I don't know, earn a working-man's wage, you know? Uh..." He stopped as the register began to beep, and he looked down at it worriedly. "Oh, I'm sorry."

"I think that's like really important." He finished, fixing whatever was wrong with the register.

"Yeah, totally." The girl spoke after licking her ice cream, the other one trying her hardest not to laugh.

"Yeah, anyways, this was like- so fun." Steve sent a cute smile her way. "We should kind of like, you know, I don't know, maybe hangout this weekend or-" He went to hand her the change back, accidentally dropping some of the coins. "Oh, I'm sorry about that, uh... I don't know, maybe next weekend or..."

"Yeah, I'm busy." The girl kindly let the boy down. Although it seemed like he was upset, he really wasn't. He didn't really care about this girl that much at all, if he had to be honest. He only cared about one and she was supposed to be coming back soon.

"Oh, that's cool I'm wo- I'm working here next weekend, so." He trailed off, feeling awkward. "The following weekend's better for me."

"No, sorry." He said, her eyebrows knitting together. "I can't. Okay, thanks."

"I-" Steve stopped as the girls began to walk away. "This is... This is my first day here." He let out a sigh as the girls walked away laughing, unaware as to the blonde standing in the distance.

"Press your face into your ice cream," The girl mumbled, and watched as both girls went emotionless and pressed their face into it, causing people to gasp.

Steve noticed this and furrowed his eyebrows, looking for the blonde who hid herself behind a wall to gather her thoughts together.

"And another one bites the dust," Robin came out from the window, white board in hand. "You are oh-for-six Popeye," She put another tally mark next to 'You Suck'.

Natasha watched as they did this, her nose scrunching up as she listened to the conversation going on between the boy and the unknown girl. "Yeah, yeah, I can count." Steve leaned against the counter, his arms crossed over his torso.

"You know that means you suck," She elaborated.

"Yep, I can read, too." Steve nodded. 

"Since when?" Robin asked.