Chapter Twenty Seven

"So, you're sure that nobody's home?" Steve asked for what seemed like the third time as Natasha and him walked into the Moore residence

"So, you're sure that nobody's home?" Steve asked for what seemed like the third time as Natasha and him walked into the Moore residence. She rolled her eyes, walking up to her room without replying to the boy. "I'm serious, I don't want you getting in trouble again." He spoke again, "It's unfair to you and we can always come to my house if you'd like."

"I'm sure that nobody's home, Steve." Natasha entered her bedroom, throwing her backpack on the ground next to her bed. "There were no cars in the front except for mine and yours. Sharon's out with Mike and the others, Edward and Jade spend every waking second together and both of my parents are hardly ever here, they're workaholics. We're good. It's not a big deal anyways."

"So they're treating you better?" Steve asked as she sat down on her bed, resting her back against the headboard. She just shrugged, looking at her hands with a sad look on her face. "Hey," He spoke softly as he shut the door behind him, walking over and sitting down next to her. "What's been going on, everything alright?"

"I wish I could tell you Steve, but I can't." Natasha looked up at him, her eyes slightly glossy. She took in a deep breath, looking back down. "Let's talk about something else, okay?"

"Yeah, of course. But why can't you tell me?" He questioned, reaching for her hand. He took her hand in his, causing her to quickly look up at him again, confused as to why he's been so touchy lately.

"It's just something very personal, something only Jonathan knows. And he only knows because Edward said something in front of him, I never planned on telling him. I'll tell you sometime, okay? Just- just not today." The girl shook her head, "But onto more serious matters. We need to talk about what I tried to tell you this morning."

"I'm sorry I don't believe you, Nat." The boy softly said. "I just- I don't know how I'm supposed to take that in, you know?"

"I get it, that's why I need to show you." She stated.

"Wait, so you're going to make me do something?" He questioned, and she shook her head.

"Well, no. I just- I want to read your mind again." She shrugged lightly, and the boys eyebrows knit together.

"You've done it before?"

"Not on purpose. I was looking at you in the library and it sort of just happened." Natasha explained, "Just- think of something, okay? And watch my eyes as I look at you and as you do it, and just wait. I'll tell you exactly what you're thinking."

"Okay, I'm thinking of a phrase."

"Woo, okay," Natasha spoke as she let out a breath, letting go of Steve's hand. She fixed her position, sitting up straight. "Let's try this, and prove I'm not crazy." She stared at Steve, and they just looked into each others eyes for a moment as Natasha waited for the thought to arrive.

But it never came.

She gave up, rubbing her face in frustration. "This is useless, I swear it happened!" She exclaimed, putting her head in her hands.