Chapter Forty Eight

"Oh you've gotta be kidding me," Steve said, as he looked through the binoculars as he was looking for a spy

"What?" Dustin asked. 

"Anna Jacobi's talking with that meathead Mark Lewinsky!" Steve exclaimed. 

"Dude, if you're not going to focus just give me the binoculars." Dustin spoke, irritation clear in his tone.

"Aw, Jesus Christ! What ever happened to standards?" Steve continued on anyway, ignoring the boy next to him. Dustin sighed in frustration, wishing he could slap the guy in the hand. "I mean, Lewinsky never even came off of the bench."

"Dude, you are the worst spy in history, you know that?" Dustin asked, ignoring Steve's little rant about standards.

"Stop, hey! Stop," Steve spoke as Dustin yanked the binoculars out of his grip.

"Just- give me those," Dustin said anyway, ignoring the other again as he tried to focus on the task at hand. "Besides, I don't get why you're looking at girls anyway, you have the perfect one in front of you."

"Seriously, if you say Robin again-"

"Not Robin." Dustin cut him off. "I was joking about her and you know that. I'm talking about Natasha."

"Stop-"

"Nat, Nat, Nat." Dustin went on, annoying the older boy even more. "Robin, Nat, Robin, Nat." He joked, as Steve continued to get annoyed.

"No, man, Robin's not my type." Steve spoke.

"But Natasha is," Dustin pointed out. 

"Okay, and?" Steve asked.

"I'm just saying. Natasha wasn't popular in school and you're basically leading her on." Dustin stated.

"How am I leading her on?" Steve asked.

"Steve, you act like she's your girlfriend one minute, then gawk at girls the next. She just wasn't popular and you don't want to ruin your reputation. You guys have kissed and whatever yet you're still not dating." Dustin continued to throw facts.

"She's just- she's weird at times, you know? Reminds me of Robin-"

"Who's awesome, by the way."

"Anyways," Steve said. "I just- I'm confused okay? I like her, a lot! It's just- she's weird at times and one second she's all over me the next she wants to leave and be anywhere where I'm not. It's confusing, causing me to be confused about my feelings. And what- what if Tommy and Carol come after me? Like what are they going to say? I didn't even like what they said about Nancy, how am I supposed to react when they say stuff about Natasha."

"Now that you're out of high school, which means you're technically an adult, don't you think it's time that you move on from primitive constructs such as popularity?" Dustin asked.