Under His Wing

Another Fanfic Bootcamp which I liked. The prompt was an OC goes back and time and changes things.

Whether or not I continue it is up in the air.

-Jaz

~~~~

Kenneth wasn't an idiot, regardless of what he girlfriend would say. He was smart, very much so. He was smart enough to realize he was dying after all.

His breathing was labored as he carried the two year old and glanced back to see as his sister followed. Their mother has already run off, far ahead of the three of them.

The sounds of their advancing pursuers pierces his ears and he found himself pushing the boy closer to his chest despite his cries.

"Kenny!" A high pitch voice screeched behind him, but he could barely bring himself to look back at the frightened child behind him.

"Just keep running Thalia!" He shouted to her. He wanted to scoop her up, to throw her over his shoulder and start running as fast he could, but with the gash on his side running this fast and holding Jason was all he could manage.

He tried not to think of the burning pain, or his fear. He tried to focus on the day he had ended up in the past, or maybe the day he had first met Beryl Grace. He felt himself stumble forward, but he held Jason tight as he attempted to regain his footing. He pushed on glancing back at Thalia as he remembered the day he had met her, and the day he realized he loved both the children as his own. He had put so much of his time, money, and love into them. He had protected them even before the first time those hellhounds had ambushed them. He had stood strong when they went into hiding, leaving the life he had made behind. He made the best of it, when Beryl has come clean. He had kept the peace when she started to drink again.

Had he done all this, just to die in the end?

Kenneth supposed there are worse causes to die for. At least he could go out attempting to save the children, or buying them time to run away. He gave a swallow as he came to an abrupt halt and Thalia skidded to a stop behind him.

"What?" She asked.

"Take him," Kenneth told her shoving the boy in her arms before she could protest. "Hurry after your mother."

"But Kenny-"

"Now Thalia."

"But I-" she was cut off as he pushed her in the other direction.

"Go," he urged. "I'll be right behind."

"But what if you're not?"

Kenneth forced himself to smile, "Then pretend I am. Now go!"

Thankfully she didn't protest, but she turned and ran off Jason cries getting further away as she did. Kenneth's eyes scanned the forest floor as he listened to the sound of the now eerily quiet wood. His eyes landed on a decent size branche and a first sized rock. He picked both up ignoring his body's protests as he prayed to both his God, and all the other gods he now knew existed for his adrenaline to last just a tad longer.

He felt his heart rate increase as he finally saw the monsters which had been chasing them. He wasn't sure what they were and he instantly regretted researching more about the gods themselves rather than the creatures they had created.

It took  another step forward and Kenneth forced himself to stand his ground despite the tears of fear burning at his eyes. He looked it in the eye as he took a deep breath and waited. He knew he could do know real harm, so he waited.

He waited for his own death.

~~~~

Jason had no memories of Kenny. He was too young to remember things like that.