Vigilante

I've written a lot of one shots lately...

-Jaz

~~~~

Vigilante

"Drop it."

"Nah. I'm good."

"I said drop it."

"I heard you."

"Fine don't drop it but instead tell me... What's the reason?"

"What reason?" He asked cocking his head to one side.

"The reason you do this? The reason you're a villain? The reason you kill people?"

"Now, now," he chided. "Don't lump me in with the common killers."

She raised an eyebrow. "What are you then?"

"I'm a vigilante. There's a difference. A common killer simply kills because they can. A vigilante on the other hand kills those who deserve it."

"You nearly killed my partner."

He shrugged. "Collateral."

"Well what about the last man you killed? He wasn't the nicest guy he scammed people out of thousands but he had a wife and three kids!"

He clucked his tongue and shook his head. "I would have killed the wife too if I had the chance."

"She's innocent."

"Innocent? That woman? Clearly you don't do your research properly Detective Chase."

"What is that supposed mean?"

"That poor widow? She's the mastermind. Her husband was nothing more than a puppet. Tsk. I truly expected more from you."

Detective Chase's mouth opened and closed silently. She readjusted her grip on the gun. "Drop the detonator already Riptide."

"Do you know what that name truly means?"

"Riptide?" She asked confused. "It's a strong current in a small area."

He smiled and nodded. "It's also a huge danger to swimmers and boaters. All who enter the waters. And the same goes for all who enter my waters... Well they sink."

"You're delusional."

"Perhaps. But I get more done than the police. I don't have pesky laws to bind me. I can simply eliminate the problems."

"Who decides that one person is supposed to die? What's the criteria? They pissed you off too much?"

"Oh no," he said reaching up with his free hand to move his hood slightly. When he did his face was no longer completely covered in shadows and Detective Chase was able to see a bit more of his face but not enough to identify him. "If simply pissing me off was enough many more people on this earth would be dead."

"So how do you choose?"

He shrugged. "At first it was I fact those I hated but I've evolved with time. And now it's a long process actually. But slowly bit by bit I add people to my ever growing list. Though I will admit there is one person whom I hate I have yet to kill but I will kill them soon enough."

Footsteps and yelling sounded below and Detective Chase calmed a bit. She just needed one person to come up so they could alert the snipers.