Trade Offs

Hola,

So I wanted to tell you that some of my oneshots in the future will he posted in a separate book I made called "One Shots and One Liners" its basically a collection of random things I've written that are either fiction or fanfiction.

And things like this one shot will go in it cuz this was an idea for a story but I can't get past chapter three. So if you like unfinished things (which I have an abundance of, go look.

-Jaz

~~~~

Trade Offs

Ethan Nakamura wasn't the best of human beings. He had made mistakes, many of them, more mistakes than most humans- but still less than his ex-best friend Luke (he had had always taken pride in that).

So Ethan had assumed his after life might not be the best, but he had never assumed that he'd be stuck as a ghost watching the consequences of his mistakes. And he certainly expected more people to be at his funeral.

"This turnout is pitiful," Ethan mumbled to himself.

The church- this had been the only time Ethan remembered stepping into a church- only had a about ten people in it, four of his neighbors, his landlady- who he was sure just came to demand rent from his corpse- his boss- who appeared to be enjoying himself- Nico- who probably came in Bianca's place as she was still in the hospital- and then most surprising of all was Luke, Thalia, and Zoë.

Ethan walked over to Luke who's blue eyes stared straight ahead at the picture of Ethan as if trying to glare holes into it. Ethan frowned as stared at his one time friend trying to understand why the hell Luke would be there. Luke wanted him dead more than anyone except probably Nico, but Nico was too loyal to his sister to act on it. Luke on the other hand had held a gun to Ethan's head and would've pulled the trigger had he not been so terrified about the possibility of going back to prison.

His eye shifted to Zoë who watched the ceremony continue respectfully, but it was clear she was bored and wishing she was elsewhere, Ethan didn't blame her. This pastor what's-his-face guy was boring it was putting Ethan to sleep- and he was dead.

Dead.

The word rattled Ethan. It didn't rattle him because he was, he had known he was gonna die, but he hadn't expected to suddenly wake up lying on the floor of a church at his own funeral unable to be seen by others. That's what rattled him. He was dead, so what the hell was he doing here?

"Would anyone like to say anything?" Pastor what's-his-face asked suddenly drawing Ethan's attention.

The living looked at one another and then Luke was suddenly shoved on off the pew by Thalia who gave him a glare. Luke glared back and said something Ethan didn't catch, but the pastor started to fan himself and mumbling, "Oh my" over and over.

After a moment of glaring Luke rolled his eyes and stepped up to the front. He stood for a moment and swallowed once, "Ethan Nakamura... he uh... He used to be my best friend. He was always- well he usually was there for me. But recently we haven't exactly seen eye to eye." Luke paused and and then quickly added, "Uh no pun intended. But even though I currently hate the guy, I'm actually upset he's dead."

"What?" Ethan asked his eye wide.

"I wanted to be the one to kill him. I'd make it slow too."

"Oh that makes more sense."

The pastor gasped and Luke glanced at him
Then rolled his eyes continuing. "Ethan didn't deserve this. He deserved worse, and when I find out who did this too him... well I'm in a church... I'm just gonna sit." Luke hurriedly sat down and Thalia patted his shoulder appreciatively.