The Gym Teacher

The middle school's gymnasium was full with chatter as Day 2's 3rd period class sat on the floor beside laid out mats waiting for their teacher to arrive.

When the door opened and the gym teacher walked in rolling a bin of sorts on wheels the children quickly hushed and smiled waiting.

The gym teacher glanced around at all of them and smiled, "You guys already put the mats out? You're eager today."

"Because we never got to finish our tournament!" A boy shouted.

The gym teacher nodded and pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket, "Don't worry, I've got the results right here, but right now let's learn a new technique first hm? So everyone grab a sword and pick a partner you haven't fought yet."

He waited a moment, but unlike usual the kids didn't jump up and rush for the fake sword of their choosing.

He frowned, "Something wrong?" He watched as the children made eye contact with one another and began whispering before they began to sing all at once,

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday Mr. Castellan! Happy birthday to you!"

Be stared at the kids confused for a moment, "Um thanks, but it's not my birthday... So uh let's start class?"

~~~~

"I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you told the kids it was my birthday?" Luke Castellan asked sitting down at a table in the teacher's lounge.

The woman already sitting there smiled into her mug of coffee, "Whatever do you mean?"

He sighed, "Why did you do that?"

"Because they asked me when it was, and I didn't know so I lied. When is your birthday by the way?"

"I'm not telling you."

"But Lukey!"

"Don't call me that."

She huffed annoyed, "You never tell anyone anything about your personal life."

"There's nothing to tell, Marie."

"Come on, all I know about you is that you don't have a relationship with your family, and you went to college."

"What else is there to know?"

"What made you decide to teach middle schoolers how to fight with fake weapons?"

"Unfortunately, many are wondering that too."

The two turned and Luke's eye makes widened seeing the Principal Delan standing in the doorway. "Can we speak in my office Mr. Castellan?"

Luke nodded slowly as he stood, "Of course."

He followed the man out the door and down the hall confused by the man's behavior. The shorter man seemed very stiff as he walked as if he was worried about something, and to Luke it seemed out of character for him.

"Is something wrong?" Luke asked him after a moment.

The principal turned quickly, "You know I think you're great person, and what you do is new and good, right?"

"Yes..."

"Well unfortunately others don't necessarily agree. So the superintendent is here..."

Luke nodded, "I figured this is coming, let's go see her."

~~~~

"Luke Castellan," Superintendent Reyes started. "You just started here at Warren Middle at the beginning of the year, correct?"