Isn't It A Pity

She explained what had happened with her and George to Ringo at his house.

"Did-did you take me off the streets the other day just cause you felt bad?" She asked frantically.

"Oh heavens no! I thought a beautiful bird like you shouldn't have been in a messy place like that." He smiled.

Prudence grinned and Ringo kissed her forehead.

"If you want to live here, you can." He whispered to her.

"R-really?!" She asked, thrilled.

He nodded. "I don't want you out on the streets. And I...I...well let's just say I've rejected all the birds that have asked to go out with me cause I was hoping you'd go out with me." He said shyly.

Prudence kissed him on his lips, tilting her head so their noses didn't hit each other's.

Ringo's wonderful smile beamed across his face. Prudence couldn't help but kiss him again; this time the two fell onto his bed and giggled as they kissed.

"Do you kids want some snacks?" Ringo's mum called from outside of the room.

"Can we have some fish and chips?" He asked.

Prudence nodded in agreement

"I'll go out and get some!" His mum replied happily. "I'll be back soon."

They heard her close the door as he left.

"She's very sweet." Prudence smiled.

"Yea."

"How old are you?" He asked abruptly.

"Sixteen." She said shyly.

"Oh." Ringo muttered.

"Why? How old are you?" She asked him.

"I'm turning nineteen next month." He answered.

"Oh." She sighed.

They looked at each other and then at the floor. They playfully kicked each other's feet while they sat on the bed, their feet dangling off the side.

"I don't mind." He said, breaking the silence.

Prudence looked at him, delighted. Ringo lifted her up onto his lap. She put her hands around his neck and he kept her close.

"I promise I'm not gonna treat you how George and them did." He whispered to her.

He rocked back and forth and Prudence could hear the drummer's heartbeat while she rested her head on his chest. His mom brought the food to their room and found Prudence fast asleep on Ringo's chest.

"Here's your two's lunch." She whispered and left quietly.

Prudence was awaken by the smell of the salty chips and fish.

"Hey, Sleepyhead." Ringo chuckled when she got up.

"Hi." She said, content.

"Me mum brought out lunch." He smiled and offered it to her.

The two ate their fish and chips and listened to records.

They lied on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Prudence pointed out something in his room and Ringo saw her scars again. He gently grasped her wrists and looked over them. His fingers gently went over her skin and he kissed all of the scars.

Prudence gave him a small smile and he asked her if she cut anywhere else.

She pointed to her thighs and hips. Ringo explained to her that she had no need to cut any longer. She liked the thought but wasn't sure how true it was.

Ringo made sure she felt at home for the next few weeks. She was very happy with Ringo.

"I can't believe you've been here for 2 months already." Ringo said happily.

"I know! It's so nice and calm here." She said.

He nodded and the two went for a walk. On their way back, as they were turning onto the street Ringo's house was on, Prudence saw Paul rushing to Ringo's house.

"Who is that?" Ringo asked, concerned.

"Paul." Prudence replied, confused.

The two ran to meet him and Paul's face was a ghostly white. He had dried tears on his face and was shaking.

"Prudence!" He shrieked so horribly that it sounded like someone had stabbed him. "Prudence!"

"Paul? What's the matter?" She asked.

"Prudence, I'm so sorry! I didn't know! I thought it was gone!"

"What was gone?"

"His cancer." He bawled.

"Is George okay? Where is he?" Prudence asked, beginning to get anxious.

"He's dead." Paul said clearly before bawling.

Prudence felt as if she was about to faint.

"He's gone?" She asked, her voice starting to falter.

"Prudence, it's my fault again. It's my bloody fault!" He screamed.

"Paul stop!" Prudence yelled.

Paul looked at her shocked, "What-"

"Your whining isn't gonna help any! Just shut up, Paul!" She screamed and ran inside Ringo's house.

"Come on, Paul." Ringo said and led Paul to his house.

Prudence searched through her drawer and found George's old leather jacket he always lended her when it got cold or rainy. She pressed it to her face and could smell the cologne George used and the smell of cigarettes.

"George!" She cried out. "George!"

Ringo came into the room quietly and let Prudence fall into his arms.

"I'm so sorry, Love." He whispered sincerely.

"He's gone." She said in disbelief.

Prudence buried her head in Ringo's chest and he held her closely. She soaked his shirt in tears but he ignored it.

Paul came into the room too and Prudence looked at him blankly.

Paul's mouth opened repeatedly but no words ever formed. Prudence slowly left Ringo's side and walked over to Paul. She put her hand in his pocket and pulled out his cigarette box; she threw it in the trash.

"I'm not loosing you either." She whispered to him.

Paul and Prudence cried together and Ringo let them be alone.

Paul looked at Prudence and kissed her. He walked her over to the bed and let her lie on his chest as they kissed. They forgot about George for a few minutes but were stuck by reality when the kiss broke.

"What did you mean it was your fault? She asked Paul.

"I should've noticed he was coughing more and having trouble breathing." Paul said and began to cry again.

"He had been in the hospital the past couple of days..." He told her.

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" She asked.

"We thought you had moved on from us; neither of us wanted to drag you back to our screwed up lives." He said.

"Prudence, I'm so sorry." Paul said so sincerely.

She began to cry again on Paul's chest.