What Is Life

Prudence was doing much better in the morning. Her fever was gone and she looked better but emotionally she was awful.

George and Linda slept together after Prudence saw them kissing. She decided to go talk to George but found that he and Linda were still asleep. Angry, she took off the bracelet George had given her and put it on his desk. She silently left the room. She went back to Paul who comforted her. After an hour, they went to get breakfast and found that George and Linda were already downstairs, kissing in the kitchen. They stopped when they saw the two come down the stairs but had no apology to offer. Paul was furious at George for kissing Linda and Prudence wanted to yell at Linda for kissing George. In return, Prudence lied her head on Paul's chest and he kissed her forehead and all around her neck and face.

George was extremely irritated, as was Linda but nobody showed it; at least not yet.

Breakfast was extremely awkward.

After they ate, Linda played with George's hair at the table and kiss him.

George saw Prudence start to cry.

"Quit crying you baby." George told her and continued to kiss Linda.

"Don't call her that." Paul warned.

"Oh please, Paul, you're just as bad." Linda laughed and wrapped her arms around George.

Paul began to braid Prudence's hair like how he used to braid Linda's. Enraged, Linda shouted at Paul.

"Stop playing with the slut's hair." She said casually.

Prudence looked at Linda who was quite content.

"You had no reason to call her a slut, Linda!" Paul shouted.

"Nobody asked for your opinion, Paul. But you're right, I should be calling you the slut, shouldn't I? I mean c'mon, you've had your share of girls and partners, huh?" She teased him.

"You bloody hypocrite, Linda. C'mon, you slept with Joseph while dating me and got pregnant and now you're kissing me best mate?!" Paul exclaimed.

"Problem?" George asked slyly as he took Linda and kissed her again.

"Oh and Paul? While we're talking, I don't want you calling yourself Heather's father anymore." She said.

This was a punch in the face for Paul.

"Fine. But don't get your dirty hands near Julian then." Paul announced and took Prudence upstairs.

Prudence ran to the bedroom and cried.

"Prudence, Love." Paul said. "Baby, I'm so sorry."

"She called me a slut." Prudence cried.

"That's a bloody lie, don't listen to her." Paul told her. "They're all lies."

Paul went out of the room and George came in.

"Do you not like the bracelet?" George asked.

"Get away from me." She warned him in fear.

"I'm not gonna hurt you..." George assured her.

"Get away!" She shouted.

"You let 'er call me a slut! And you called Paul a baby! What the hell?" She shouted.

George came closer to Prudence. She cornered herself to the wall and was breathing quickly.

"Pa-" Prudence tried to shout out before George kissed her.

Prudence was confused and anxious. George rested his forehead on her's and began apologizing for everything he said and did. He told her that he was just practicing with Linda for the date he had planned with Prudence. And that after seeing her and Paul sleeping together, he wanted to get back at her by sleeping with Linda.

Paul came out of the bathroom and saw George.

"Get away from her, ya bastard!" Paul shouted.

"Paul, please." He pleaded.

"How dare you call her a a baby and let Linda call her a slut." Paul said to him.

Prudence watched the two yell at each other.

"You don't know how to take care of Prudence, back off." They said simultaneously at each other.

The two turned to Prudence.

"Who do you pick?" They asked her.

"You're making me choose?" She asked, nervously.

Paul tried to explain that he didn't want to have her choose but George ignored him.

Prudence looked at the two and realized she couldn't choose both and she couldn't choose neither.

She walked closer to the two and kissed George on the cheek. But then went to Paul.

"Wh-what..." George said, shocked.

Paul too was shocked; he embraced Prudence and swore he wouldn't let anything happen to her.

"What about Linda?" Prudence asked.

"Don't worry about her. She'll be fine."

"Hope you two are happy." George choked before crying.

George ran to his room and slammed himself on the door and kicked the wall.

"Fuckin' bastard!" He shouted.

Linda came in confused.

"What's wro-" She tried to ask.

"You.. This is your fault!" George screamed at Linda.

"What are you talking about?" She asked.

"You made Prudence hate me! And now you've lost Paul too!" He shouted at her.

"What do you mean I lose Paul?" She questioned him concerned.

"Paul and Prudence are together now." George said.

Heather started crying in her bed. Linda went over and cradled her.

"I can't do this." Linda admitted.

"What?" He asked.

"I can't keep Heather... I'm a freaking mess, especially without Paul." She said, starting to have an anxiety attack.

"Linda, you'll be okay." George assured her.

"Sure." She said sarcastically.

George lied in bed with Linda and gently placed his hand on Heather's fragile head.

"Heather needs you, her father's already left her." George explained.

Heather fell asleep again and Linda put her back in the crib.

Although George was younger, he was taller than Linda and he kissed her forehead.

"I'll help you." He offered.

George got Linda tea and calmed her down.

He had never seen her cry before; Linda was always the strong one who never cried or appeared intimidated.