Photograph

Meanwhile, Paul and Linda were in the hallway when a nurse walked by.

"Excuse me?" Paul called out crying.

"Can I help you?" She asked in a gentle tone.

"Do you know what room Lizzy was in?" He asked.

She looked at her chart.

"There's a Lizzy in room 209, the level below this one on your right when you get out of the elevator." She told him.

"Thank you." Paul said and rushed to the elevator.

"Paul, what are you-" Linda called out as Paul jumped in the elevator.

Paul got to the level below and rushed to the room. He opened the door and hurried in. Nurses tried to block Paul from entering but he explained to them who he was and managed to get in.

Lizzy was lying on a hospital bed, a white sheet laying on her. Paul ripped off the sheet and revealed that Lizzy was just in underwear. Paul rested his head on her stomach.

"Lizzy, Lizzy, Lizzy!" He cried.

He held her lifeless hand and kissed it.

"No..." He whimpered.

He looked frantically at her for any sign of life. He gently put his hand on her cheek and kissed her.

"Lizzy!"

He kissed her forehead and all over her cold face.

"Lizzy, please!" He cried.

"Mr. McCartney, she's gone." A nurse told him.

Paul looked at the nurse.

"But..."

"I'm sorry, sir." The nurse replied.

Paul looked at Liz again and picked up the necklace he had given her from her neck.

"Love you forever..." Paul tried to sing before his voice was muffled by crying.

"Love you with all my heart..."

Paul whispered more of the song to her.

"Love you when we're apart." Paul cried.

"I need you, Lizzy!" Paul screamed.

"Sir-" The nurse tried to calm him down.

Paul rubbed his finger over the necklace before resting it back in Liz's chest.

"You don't know how much I love you, Baby." Paul whimpered. "I don't know what I'll do without you."

Paul was so used to Lizzy's normal response to the remark: that she wouldn't know what to do without Paul.

"Lizzy!"

"Sir, you're gonna have to say your final goodbye." The nurse said.

Paul looked at Lizzy.

"Thanks for everything that you've done for me, Liz. I honestly wouldn't be alive if it hadn't been for you. You've saved my life so many times and I wasn't able to repay the favor. I'm sorry I let you down, My Sweet. I'm so, so sorry!" Paul cried into her chest. "I love you. And tell John I said 'hi' when you get to Heaven."

Paul gave Liz the last kiss he would ever give her and reluctantly left the room.

Linda took Paul home after they talked to George a bit more. When they got home, Paul sulked to his room and found his favorite picture of Lizzy. He put it in a frame and placed it next to the one he had of John on his bedside table. He laid on a pillow and stared at the two pictures.

That's all he had now, just some photographs and memories.

He kissed his fingers and placed them on the pictures.

"I'm so sorry." He cried. "I let both of you down; I let both of you die."

Paul knew Liz was probably scolding him and telling him it wasn't his fault.

Linda came up with tea for the two of them. She set them on the desk to cool and sat in bed with Paul. She said nothing but Paul wrapped himself around her. Paul cried into her shoulder and slowly fell asleep like that. Linda lied down slowly and Paul adjusted himself so that his arms were still around her. Paul must've been having constant nightmares because he kept shaking and mumbling and crying. Linda would wake him up, tell him everything was okay, and then he would fall asleep again; but he would soon cry again. Luckily, Julian slept the whole night so Linda didn't have to get up.

In the morning, Linda tried to get out of bed but found Paul was still clinging to her. Linda smiled at him and let him sleep. Paul soon woke up and looked up at Linda. He scooted up so that his face was in front of Linda's. His hand went up the back of her shirt and he pulled her close.

"Was it just a nightmare? Please tell me Liz is alive." Paul begged.

"I'm sorry, Love." Linda sighed and let Paul cry on her shoulder.

"She can't be gone." Paul said in disbelief. "Everything was getting better."

Linda kissed him and their foreheads rested on each other's. The phone rang and it was Liz's relatives saying that her funeral would be in 6 days. Linda got breakfast ready but Paul stayed in bed, devastated. His crying woke up Julian. Paul picked him up and took him back to bed with him. Paul carefully wrapped Julian in his arms and admired the little boy's face.

"You look so much like your father..." Paul whispered to the clueless child.

"I'm sorry." Paul said to Julian before crying again.

"Stop." Julian said.

Julian reached his hand out and touched Paul's cheek. He rubbed the tears in attempt to make them go away.

Julian moved his head towards Paul and gave him a baby kiss on Paul's lips.

He managed to make Paul smile for the first time since Lizzy died.

"I swear to God I'm not gonna let anything happen to you, Jules." Paul promised and kissed the child.