With A Little Help From My Friends

The two couples watched in silence from the side as several men began to close the casket. There were less than three inches from the closing of the casket and it stopped there when the men were alarmed by a cry. It was Paul.

"Don't!" He cried. "I don't want him to go! Let him be!"

Linda tried to pull him back; he shrugged off Linda's efforts and shouted again, "JOHN! You can't leave me!"

The men that were closing the casket nodded at each other and opened it again. One of them walked over to Paul. "Sir, you may have five more minutes."

Paul hurried over and fell to his knees.

"Johnny, please! I don't know what I'll do without you! You're the love of my life and without you I have no reason to live! John, baby, please! I need you!" Paul screamed.

Paul observed John's body, desperately hoping that he wasn't dead; that by some chance John really wasn't gone.

"John! Winston! Lennon! Do not leave me!" Paul demanded.

The men began to walk back and started closing the casket.

"Don't you dare close that damn casket!" Paul yelled at the men.

George ran over to pull Paul away.

"Let go of me!" Paul shouted as he punched George.

George fell to the ground and put his hand over his cheek that Paul had just punched. Paul was now breathing heavily and tears continued to fall from his face. Everyone watched the lad that they thought had gone mad.

"Why the hell are you staring at me?!" Paul shouted.

Everyone continued to stare at the strange scene. Paul looked around the whole room, at George who was on the floor and at the now closed casket. Paul fell to the ground and pulled at his hair.

Linda asked everyone to go to the reception area so that she could try to help Paul. Once everyone did, Linda slowly walked over to Paul.

She said nothing but went down on her knees. She slowly lifted Paul's chin with her gentle hand and looked into Paul's red eyes. She gave him a slow kiss.

"Let's go home." She whispered.

Linda helped Paul up, his whole body shaking. The two walked to George's house and went to Paul's room.

"Do you want something?" Linda asked. "I'll get you whatever you like."

"John." He replied.

Linda sighed, "I'm sorry Paul, I-I can't get John."

"But you said you'd get me whatever I wanted!" Paul whined like a little kid.

"Paul-" Linda began to say.

"I want John!" He screamed angrily.

"Paul, I'm afraid no one can get John." Linda said, frightened by Paul's outrage.

"I WANT JOHN!" Paul yelled; his face now a bright red.

"John isn't here anymore!" Linda yelped.

Paul slapped Linda on the face. Linda stepped back and looked at Paul fearfully.

"You too?! You're gonna stare at me like I'm a madman?!" Paul screamed.

A tear fell from Linda's eye. This brought Paul back to reality. He hurried over to Linda and Linda tried to protect herself, thinking Paul was going to hit her again. But instead, he embraced her.

"I'm sorry." He apologized. "Does it hurt? Please tell me I didn't hurt you."

Paul pulled Linda's hand away from her cheek to reveal that it was swollen and red.

"Linda, I-"

"It's alright, Paul." She assured him.

"But I hit you."

"Don't worry about it Paul. I'm fine."

Paul gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead. "I'll never do that again. I promise."

"Relax, Love. It's not your fault." Linda tried to comfort him.

"Thank God your flight was cancelled." Paul mumbled before kissing Linda again.