This Is Love

After a few months, it became quite clear that Linda was pregnant. Joseph went back to New York, realizing he didn't want to be a father. Paul and Linda were in bed and Paul had his head gently on her stomach.

"I wonder what he's thinking." Paul giggled.

"And how are you so sure he or she is a he?" Linda asked.

"I don't know." Paul said and lied down next to Linda.

"What shall we name her or him?" Linda asked.

"Hmmm....if you have a boy... James. And if you have a girl...Heather." Paul said.

"Heather?" She asked.

Paul nodded.

"I like it." She smiled.

Prudence and George were in their room, listening to some records.

Prudence was lying on George's chest and he was playing with her blonde, straight hair. Julian was mesmerized by the spinning disc that produced music. The needle reached the end of the front side and Julian began to whine.

"Hey now." George said to the child as he got up to flip the record.

Julian watched curiously as George placed the needle on it and it played music. George brought Julian a few toys and let him play on the carpet. He walked back over to the bed where Prudence was. She was still in her thin night gown and her hair was fanned across the bed. She looked at George with content eyes. George smile at her before getting back in bed.

"I've got a present for you." George whispered to her.

"Really?" She asked.

He nodded and opened the drawer next to him. He pulled out a small box and presented it to her. In it was a charm bracelet. There was a sun charm, flowers and one bigger heart.

"What was this for?" She asked kindly.

"It's something on your wrist that you can be proud of." George smiled. "See the sun?"

She nodded.

"The sun is up, the sky is blue. It's beautiful and so are you." He sang to her.

"The flowers are for the flowers I put in your hair. And the heart, well...that's cause I love you." George said as he kissed her.

He put it on her wrist and kissed her scars.

"George, this is the sweetest thing anyone's ever given me." Prudence blushed. "I wish I could give you something this nice."

"You already have." George told her and pulled her close.

"You've got a scar on your face." Prudence told him.

"I know. It's from Pete." George explained.

Prudence moved up towards his face and kissed the scar that was near his lip.

"Thanks, Darlin'."

She blushed and nestled her head on his chest.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you more." She whispered back.