Carry That Weight

Start from the beginning

After everyone had finished speaking, everybody lined up to say their farewells to Liz. George went before Paul, and he gave her a kiss.

"Thank you for everything, beautiful girl. I'll see you in my dreams. I'll love you forever." George said and blew her one last kiss.

Paul walked up to the casket.

He sighed. "I don't know what else to say, Love. You saved my life and I'll be forever grateful to you. I love you, Lizzy my dear."

Paul reached into his pocket and pulled out the paper he had put in there. He placed it in the casket next to Liz. And then he placed a flower on her chest.

"I'll see you again one day." Paul muttered and gave her a kiss.

Linda said goodbye to her friend and blew her a kiss and gave her a flower.

The ceremony ended and everyone went home. George was taken back to the hospital to start his therapy.

Paul and Linda went home.

"You don't have to answer this question, but what was that paper you placed in there?" Linda asked.

"Oh...it was the paper where I wrote the first complete lyrics of Liz's and my song. I sang it to her whenever she wanted me to." Paul explained.

"Oh Paul, that was so sweet of you." Linda hugged him.

"Can you come upstairs with me?" Paul asked shyly.

Linda nodded.

Paul took her to the bed and sat next to her.

"Did you want something?" Linda asked.

"I don't wanna be alone right now." Paul said embarrassed.

"Oh...okay."

Linda lied down more and Paul cuddled into her chest. Paul began to cry again. Linda tried to quiet him but Paul just kept crying.

"Please don't leave me." Paul begged her.

"Never." Linda assured him and gave him a kiss.

It was silent for a few minutes before Paul started crying again.

"You don't want Jules to see you like this, do you?" Linda asked.

Paul shook his head and tried to stop crying. Lucy's friend knocked on the door and asked if she could come in. Paul went to the bathroom and Linda let Julian in and told Lucy's friend she could go home.

"Mummy!" Julian giggled, still not knowledgeable that Liz wasn't here.

"Hi cutie." Linda smiled back.

Paul walked back in and he had wiped his tears away.

Julian squealed with delight when he saw Paul. Paul picked him up and spun him around. Julian absolutely adored Paul. When Paul sat Julian back on the bed Julian looked back and forth between Paul and Linda.

"Where Mummy?" He asked.

"She's right here." Paul said as he pointed to Linda.

Julian shook his head. "Mummy?"

"I'm right here." Linda said again.

Julian became frustrated. He crawled across the bed towards Paul's bedside table. He pointed at the picture of Liz.

"Mummy."

Paul tried to hold back his tears.

"Um..." Linda tried to think of a way to explain.

"She come soon?" Julian asked.

Paul ran into the bathroom again.

Linda just smiled at Julian and got him distracted by a toy. Linda put him in a play area on the floor and went to check on Paul. He was sitting on the floor, crying, and his head was in his lap.

"I've ruined everything!" Paul exclaimed.

Before Linda could ask anything, Paul continued.

"First I let his father die and now I let one of his mum's die! I've ruined his life already and he's just a baby!" Paul cried.

Linda picked Paul up and had him look in the mirror.

"Julian has you. Haven't you seen how much Julian loves you? His eyes beam when you come in the room and he's always happy around you." Linda told him.

"What about when he gets older? When he's able to ask where his parents went? His real dad's dead all cause of me, his mum died in a fire, and Lizzy died cause of me!"

"It wasn't your fault!" Linda yelled at him.

Paul slapped her cheek.

"I'm fucking tired of hearing that! Of course it was my fault!" Paul shouted back at her.

"Paul!" Linda shouted.

"Shut up, Linda! You're not gonna be able to convince me that it wasn't my fault!"

"But Paul-"

"Shut up!" Paul's screamed and slapped her cheek harder.

Linda's mouth opened but Paul stepped forward and she didn't say anything else.

Paul stepped forward again.

"Please don't hurt me." Linda pleaded.

"What's it matter? It seems that if you know Paul McCartney, something bad is bound to happen!" Paul shouted.

"Paul please! Your son is out there." Linda begged him.

"He's not my son! I'm just taking care of him cause John was too irresponsible to watch what the hell he was doing!" Paul shouted.

"How could you say that?" Linda asked in disgust.

"I can say it cause it's true!" Paul shouted at Linda and slapped her other cheek.

Paul forgot he had a blade in that hand. Linda's cheek was cut and blood was dripping down.

"Linda-"

"I'll handle it Paul, you've done enough." Linda said as she rubbed off the blood and looked for a bandage.

"Top shelf." Paul muttered.

Linda got a bandage and placed it on her cheek; the blood seeped through quickly but she couldn't do anything about it.

"Linda, I didn't mean to-" Paul pleaded.

"What's gotten into you?" Linda asked.

"I- I don't know..."

Paul tried to kiss Linda but she didn't kiss him back. He looked at her confused.

"Not now, Paul." Linda said as she tried to stop the bleeding again.

Paul left the bathroom, worried about what was happening between him and Linda.