Meeting the parents

"Look as my parents will be here tonight I thought I'd ask you now" he says as he puts his hand in his back pocket and Cara's heart beats really quickly.

'This is it' she thinks to herself.

He smiles at her "Cara we've gone so much together and I think this would be our next step, Cara?" He smiles.

"Yes?" She says really nervously.

"Move in with me?" He says as he pulls out a set of house keys.

"What?" She says a little not sure what to say as she didn't think he was going to say that.

"You heard me" he smiles.

"Erm... that's really not what I was expecting" she says and smiles.

Raf looks at her a little confused "so will you move in permanently with me?" He asks.

"We basically are at each other's places most the time anyway" he adds.

She looks at the keys and smiles "well if you want me under your feet 24'7 then yes I will" she giggles.

He smiles happily at her. "I'm not going to convince you I'm easy to live with though" she smiles.

He laughs and kisses her, "well we could stand here all night but my parents are waiting" he replies.

"And erm I'll take that chance because I'm sure I'm not that easy to live with either" he says as they walk downstairs.

"Raf you walk around naked in my flat so what's going to be different" she says as she gets her jacket.

"Erm" he laughs.

They get into the car and they head to the restaurant.

"How do I look" she asks nervously.

"Perfect" he smiles as he kisses her head.

She looks down at her lap. "Do you think they'll like me" she says.

"Of course they will" he smiles as he scans the wine list. She smiles and picks up a menu too.

"Oh here they are now" Raf smiles as he waves them over.

Cara looks up and takes a deep breath and they both stand to greet them.

"Mum, dad... I would love you to meet Cara" he smiles.

Cara smiles as Raf's Mum comes over and hugs her.

Cara is taken back by her hugging her, "finally in the flesh, we've heard so much about you, Joyce" she says as she introduces herself.

"Cara" she smiles back.

Raf's dad Alistair comes over and kisses her cheek, "Cara finally we meet" his dad smiles.

They all sit down around the table and Raf smiles over at Cara.

"So tell us about yourself" Alistair smiles.

"Erm... a couple of years after I left uni I started at holby which I then took a new position after a year but I missed the place too much to say no when they phoned me for help" she smiles at Raf.

"Lovely and that's where you met Raf... at work?" Alister asks.

"Yeah we worked on the same ward...until I moved" she says.

"Oh where are you now? St James's? Joyce asks.

"No I ended up moving wards... before I left I mean" she tries to explain.

"Oh right, now you're back with Raf?" She asks.

"Yes I am" she smiles at him.

"Lovely, you seem so much nicer than that woman he divorced a few years back" Joyce smiles.

Cara smiles at them not knowing what to say next.

"Shall we have order then?" Raf says getting Cara out of the awkward situation.

They nod and all look down at their menus. Raf smiles at her and places his hand on hers.

Cara gives a little smile and decides on what she's having so Raf goes and orders for the table.

"So any stories?" Cara asks.

"Well there was the time when Raf was younger" Joyce smiles.

"Go on" Cara says quite excited to hear what they have to say.

"He was walking around the pool he must of been around 3 he dropped his trunks and pee'd in the pool, shouting mummy I'm a waterfall" Joyce explains.

"You should of seen the look on the lifeguards face" Alister adds.

"Oh my" Cara laughs as Raf comes back. "What's funny?" He asks confused.

"Nothing just old memories of you" Alister smiles.

"If you ever have children with him just be aware Raf kicked the hell out of my bladder and kept me up for at least half of my pregnancy, and I'm sure his children will follow in his footsteps" Joyce smiles.

Cara looks over at Raf and laughs. "Oh Raf you bully" she says.

"My bladder was never the same after" Joyce laughs.

"Nice" Cara says awkwardly.

"Raf told us you've been married before, any children from that?" She asks.

"No... that didn't really work out" Cara says.

"Oh right, well the first marriage always isn't for everyone" she says.

"I guess not" Cara simply says.

"Mum I asked Cara to move in with me today" Raf says.

"Ooo the next step" she replies and smiles at the two. Raf holds Cara's hand and smiles at his parents.

They finish their food and Cara has a sip of her wine.

"Well Raf you made the right choice on restaurant" Joyce smiles.

"Yeah well done... even if you didn't tell me where we were going" Cara smiles.

"Oh sneaky isn't he" Alister jokes.

"Such a tease" Cara laughs.

Raf moves his hand under the table and strokes her knee, "so do we want desert?" Raf asks.