Effort

As soon as anyone knows it, they're all getting ready for Christmas Day.

Cara is up early on Christmas morning prepping the turkey and some of the veg.

She occasionally asks her mum for some help at times but Cara seems to have this covered.

"How's it going?" Karen asks as she walks into the kitchen.

"Yep I think I've got this" she says cheerfully.

"Smells very nice, so what time is lover boy coming around?" Karen smirks.

"Well Raf is going to be round about five" she says just carrying on with the dinner.

"Five?! I was expecting my dinner at two" Karen says.

"He might be able to get here earlier but he's supposed to be working until three, he's going to see, I can do it a bit earlier if you'd like" she smiles.

"No, no I can wait" Karen smiles.

"It might work out a little earlier actually" she smiles.

"Put the turkey in at twelve then and have it when Raf gets here" Karen smiles trying to help her. 

"Yes I know mum!" Cara snaps.

"Alright alright don't get your nickers in a twist" she laughs as she back away and leaves her to it.

Cara puts the food in and comes away from the kitchen for a bit with her glass of wine.

"How's it going in there?" She smiles as she is sits down with a glass of wine.

"Alright" she says.

"Make sure you leave enough time to get yourself ready" she smiles.

"I am ready" Cara laughs.

"Oh I see" she says as Cara plumbs herself on the sofa.

"What? do I look bad or something?" Cara asks.

"Not bad but I thought you would of wanted to make more of an effort" she smirks.

"I look alright" Cara says.

"Scruffy  pony tail, jogger bottoms and a top that looks like it hasn't been ironed" Karen says.

"Mum stop it, I'm a nurse I hardly get time for making stuff look nice at home" Cara says.

"Cara but you haven't been working today and you've got guests" she says looking at what she's wearing.

"Fine... I'll go find something more suitable for 'guests' okay?" Cara says sarcastically.

"No need to be like that, I thought you'd want to make more effort...I can watch the dinner for you" she smiles.

She goes and gets changed and comes back out with her hair down and a short dress on "better?" Cara asks.

"You look stunning my love" she replies and she smiles at Cara.

"Hardly, this old thing haven't worn it in year" Cara says.

"Well I still thinks Raf will appreciate the effort" she smiles.

"He's a friend" Cara laughs.

"Come off it Cara I've seen the way you two are" she says.

"You keep telling yourself that mum, I don't fancy him end of" Cara says.

"That's because you love him Cara, you've gone past that stage of fancying each other now. I was like that with your dad" Karen smiles.

"Right let's get this straight, just because we slept together once does not mean I love him!" She snaps.

"I'm sorry" Karen laughs.

Cara huffs and goes back into the kitchen.

She takes a few things out the oven, and makes some stuffing. "Cara do you want me to get the door? I think it's Raf?" Karen shouts through.

"Yeah" Cara shouts back.

Karen opens the door and looks at Raf, "hi, come in" Karen says.

"Hello miss Edwards" Raf smiles as he steps in.

He hands her a present "oh Raf you didn't have too" Karen smiles.

"Oh it's fine, Merry Christmas" Raf smiles as Karen kisses his cheek.

"Cara's through there" she smiles pointing towards the kitchen.

Cara comes out the kitchen and smiles awkwardly at Raf as she adjusts her dress, "Merry Christmas" Raf says as he hands Cara a gift bag.

"Aw Raf your so sweet" she smiles.

"Smells nice in here" Raf smiles.

"It'll be ready soon just waiting for the Yorkshires" she smiles as she grabs her glass.

"Oh did you want one?" She asks.

"Yeah why not" he smiles.

Cara pours Raf a glass and hands it to him. "Thanks" he smiles.