Vigilante (Part Two)

Start from the beginning

"Convince you to what?"

"Not kill you." Percy moved his hands so he could look down at them as he clenched and unclenched his fists. "You see my first instinct at the moment is to wrap my fingers around your neck and see how long it takes for you to stop breathing. But," he continued looking back up to look in her in the eye. "that stupid little voice in the back of my head- my conscious- tells me not to. It's quite annoying. So give me some good reasons to let you go and I might."

"Might," Annabeth repeated.

He nodded. "Might. I'll give you some time to think about what you want to say... Then again, that would be boring. So I'm not just going to kill you or let you go without having some fun first."

"What's your definition of fun?"

He smiled at her an evil glint in his eye. "Your fear." He pulled a small box out of his sweatshirt pocket and opened it. He put his hand inside it and took something out which caused Annabeth to recoil. A spider.

It wasn't big maybe about the size of a nickel but Annabeth had seen smaller ones do much worse. "Please," she begged as he reached toward her with  the spider on his hand. "I-I don't need time to think about what I'll say."

"I think you do," Percy shrugged. "And this little guy here is your motivation." He smirked at her as she sucked in her breath as he put the spider on her forearm. She gave shriek as she stared at it watching its every move. "I'll come check you on you two later."

Annabeth didn't watch him go but she heard his footsteps retreat and she heard the door open and close. She watched the spider holding her breath as it slowly made its way up her arm and onto her shoulder. The light flickered and she lost sight of it but she could feel something on her neck. Then the fear overcame her and she saw black.

"Gabe. I don't think anything is scarier than him. Besides not being able to see my mom. What about you?"

Annabeth gave a shiver. "Spiders."

"Spiders?"

"Spiders. They come into my room at night. And I wake up with spider webs all around me. I can feel them crawling on my skin."

Percy wrinkled his nose. "Gross."

Annabeth nodded. "Very. And my family doesn't believe me either. My stepmom thinks I'm crazy." Annabeth pulled her knees to her chest. "I hate her. Sometimes I wish it was just me and my dad- and my brothers too I guess. Is that bad?"

Percy shook his head. "I don't think so. I wish Gabe was gone and it was just me and my mom."

Annabeth nodded. "Good."

~~~~

"We just went home. Why are we here now?" Detective Valdez asked with a yawn.

"Police rushed to the scene where witnesses said they heard a gun shot," Captain Brunner explained. "All the found when the got there was a police issues gun and a phone. Detective Chase's cell phone."

"It had to be Riptide," Detective McLean said.

"I agree. I need all of you looking for her. And anything you can find on Perseus Jackson!"