Speedy and Flower Power

Start from the beginning

Travis walked on for a while no real destination in mind as he looked for a place that would be an easy score. After about a half hour of nothing he pulled up his hood and put on his sunglasses. He waited until no one was around before breaking into a run. The world around him seemed to blue together as he continued to look for somewhere he could hit. Finally he slowed slightly  noticing a deserted store across the street. He turned a corner before slowing down to normal speed. He walked back out and crossed the street and walked by the store. It was a small flower shop and by the looks of it only the owner was in it. Travis smiled at his luck but he kept walking. He walked past the the flower shop and into the convience store next door. Inside he bought a single can of chicken noodle soup and was left with just pocket change.

He left the store keeping it in the back of his mind as somewhere he could rob when he had Connor as a distraction. He then went next door the flower shop. When he pushed open the door and found the shop empty he ignored the bell's ringing and a girl's voice yelling, "Be right there!"

He walked faster to the register and hit a button opening it. He swiped the cash and hurried to the door only the crash face first into... A tree? Travis groaned and began to push himself up when something snaked around his ankles and legs. He opened his eyes sharply to see that vines were holding him tightly and cutting in to his skin. He tugged at them to no avail. He turned to the door  to see that the glass was no longer clear and rather vines covered it completely.

Travis turned his attention to the oncoming footsteps as a girl about his age emerged. She has brown hair and pretty green eyes which bore harshly into Travis' soul.

"You wanna give that back before I call the cops?" She asked him.

"You won't call them," Travis said trying to calm himself. "You're a Mute yourself no? A Mute who owns a store at that. They'll think you killed the owner or something. You call them and you'll get caught up in the mess too."

The girl-Katie according to her name tag- stepped forward to the door. The vines split and Travis could see her turn the sign from 'Open' to 'Closed'. "I suppose you're right," she said looking back to face him. "I'll have to deal with you myself."

Travis tried to look more confident than he felt as the vines grew even tighter and some stretched their way across his middle. He let out a short cry of pain.

"Or..." She continued. "You can give me my money back..."

Travis found it harder to even hold on to the money. He tried to activate his speed and cut through the vines but there were too many. "I just need to buy cold medicine for my brother! We're flat broke!" He shouted finally.

The vines stopped tightening and even loosed for a second. Katie stepped forward and took of his sunglass and pulled back his hood. "You don't look like you're lying..."

"I'm not," Travis assured her.

After a moment she nodded and put that sunglasses back on his face. She snatched the money from his hands ignoring his shout of protest. "Wait here," she said turning and walking away. "Not that you have a choice that is."

Travis cursed to himself as he could hear her walking up a flight of stairs. With a sigh his eyes drifted to where the plastic bag of canned soup lay on the floor and in the back of his mind he wondered if he'd dented it.

Katie came back a couple minutes later. In her hand she held a small box. She held it up to Travis's face so he could read it.