Gray

AAHHHHH
I'M SO HAPPY TO PRESENT A NEW CHAPTER FROM THE INCREDIBLY TALENTED author144 ! I hope you all enjoy this lovely chapter as much as I did :D

Jack’s POV
The sky was gray. (I'd like to point out that I thought it said "the sky was gay")
But then again, everything was gray. As I looked around, I could see that everything was a shade of black, white, or anything in between. That’s how the world was. The rain that fell from the sky was gray, the buildings were a dull gray, even when the sun shone, the world was a mix of gray and black shadows. It was as if the world had decided altogether that it didn’t want to be creative. There were people who spoke of other colors than the three we always saw, but I never believed such lies. They were from people who were love drunk, caught up in the high of their relationship. I’d always been skeptical of people who thought that way; the world was simply three colors and anything else was as a result of being delusional.
I looked around at the park that stood behind me, bravely facing the rain as the rest of the world did. I moved along from the bus stop that I had been waiting at, deciding that I had a better chance of getting to work on time by walking. My umbrella shielded me from the rain above, and I noticed the dark trench coats of people walking by, the hats that warded off the rain as well as more umbrellas. This world was just three colors, but it was all that I ever needed to see.
My life was a routine, and I’d never believed in that ‘true-love-soulmate’ kind of stuff anyway. Finding someone you love didn’t mean the world would suddenly be colorful, or else what was family to a person? I wasn’t sure, but it was a common rumor, and many people were urged to find their soulmates as a result. Things like ‘red’ and ‘purple’ weren’t real things, but I’d heard the stories. People describing red as the true color of anger, or the passion one feels towards their said soulmate. Blue was another common one, one used to describe that way we felt when we were alone, or upset about something. These things were just nonsense to me.
The rumors said that upon bumping into your soulmate it will immediately induce the ability to see colors, which sounded just as ridiculous to me. I lived in a big city, and I’d touched or skimmed my arm over several people, hundreds upon the weeks and years that I’d walked to work or returned home, gone shopping at the store. If I had ever run into my soulmate, I would never know. The whole idea of the world lighting up seemed stupid, and even though I thought this for sure, a small part of me secretly wished it to be true, for how else would I know who I was meant to be with?
I didn’t want to think about this anymore, as the idea of meeting a soulmate was futile now. My sister and brothers had all married, and they were happy. My parents were as proud as could be, and they constantly reminded me of how selfish I was, thinking that I would always be on my own. They strongly believed in the appearance of these other colors after they found their soulmate, but I reminded them that they didn’t know what they were talking about. There was no way that I had gone all these years without ever meeting my soul mate once, and a part of me felt a bit ‘blue’ as they would say.
I sighed, peering over the outside of my umbrella and watching the rain slap against the ground. I was so sick of the rain, as the only addition it gave to the world was slippery streets and wet clothes to all of those unprepared. It was annoying, and only reflected the white lights of the city lamps that hung overhead. White lights, gray sidewalks, black roads and shadows to create the effect of lighting in this world. That’s all that anyone ever needed in my opinion.
As I watched the sky, I realized that I didn’t watch where I was going. I looked back in the direction I was going and found myself colliding straight into another man. This man was much smaller than me, hair that was black and a broad chest outlined by a tight jacket. My umbrella flew onto the ground as I tripped, and we both stumbled backwards. He was holding a few folders that clattered next to my umbrella, and he gasped as I did. I turned, meeting his gaze and getting ready to snap at him, despite the collision being my fault, when I was taken completely off guard.
The world around me suddenly seemed to explode. The sidewalk suddenly appeared to be darker, slick with water that was not a gray color, but instead a clear color that reflected the light of the lamps overhead. The lamps were no longer a white color, and the jacket I was wearing was no longer black, but something I had recalled that reminded me of the word ‘green.’ The other man’s hair was suddenly a brown, a dark brown nonetheless, and I could only look around as the buildings around me began to fill in. Brilliant shades of colors I’d never seen before, lighting up this dull town into a bright atmosphere. Reds, something called orange, and the shoes I wore were suddenly a bright blue.
I looked back up to meet this other man in the eyes, and they were suddenly the deepest color of melted chocolate that I could have considered. His face was not pastey white and shadowed only by black, but a peachy color with blush that ran from his ears down to his cheeks, coloring him perfectly. His nose was red from the cold, and his brown hair stuck to his face. The only gray things in the area now was the clouds overhead, and they were slowly fading from the sky, taking the rain with them and revealing a bright blue background. Suddenly, the world seemed to be much brighter than I remembered.
I grabbed the man’s nearest binder, the one that fell to the ground by my umbrella that I had once thought to be checkered with black and white but turned out to be every color of the ‘rainbow,’ and took out a pen. The pen did not write black, as I expected, but it wrote in a lovely red ink as I copied down my phone number for him. I handed it back to him, and he looked down before grinning. His smile seemed to light up the space between us, and suddenly I was convinced that the world had color the entire time. I helped him up, and his face held all of the colors of the world, and in every way he was beautiful.
When he turned and walked away, I was sure that I would be sick if I ever encountered ‘gray’ again.