Sunrise

Seriously, thank you guys so much for 1k votes and 10k reads. I would be nowhere in life without you guys! I love you all, and the special chapter for this occasion will be up soon :)

Jack wasn't the same anymore. One day, out of nowhere, he stopped being his usual self. Mark was the first, and maybe the only, person to notice this. He stopped being as cheerful as usual, he seemed to eat less, be less interesting in things he used to love, get less sleep, and so many more things.

Mark was concerned. What friend wouldn't be? Jack is his best friend, and he cares about him. So, he went on Google to get some help. After about an hour of research, Mark was in denial. He was in denial that Jack was depressed.

I have to call him, Mark thought, I need to make sure he's okay.

Mark checked Skype to see if Jack was online, and thankfully, he was. He called Jack, hoping he would pick up. He nearly jumped when Jack answered.

"Hey, Jack!" Mark said as he turned on his face-cam, Jack doing the same. Mark tried to ignore the bags under his friend's beautiful blue eyes.

"What's up, Mark?" Jack said with a smile on his face.

"I, uh, I just wanted to see if you were okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I... I think... Are you depressed?" Mark had no idea how to put his thoughts into words.

"No! I'm absolutely fine!"

"You've been acting different lately."

"What? No, I haven't. I'm just the same as I've always been."

"No, Jack, you really aren't. Out of the blue, you changed."

"Changed, how?"

"Everything, if I may be frank with you."

"Dude, seriously, I'm fine. There's no reason to worry about good ol' Jackaboy!"

If it were possible, Mark would've said Jack's Irish accent had gotten duller. Jack wasn't the same, and he didn't want to admit it. But, after doing so much research, Mark was on the verge of crying. It pained him to see how fake everything was about Jack. His smile, cheerfulness, and so much more.

"Jack, I did some research because I care about you. You're showing so many signs of depression, and I just want you to be okay."

There were a few moments of silence before Jack replied. Jack looked everywhere but his webcam or screen, but Mark was staring directly at Jack. He misses Jack's smile. His real smile. The one that would bright up the entire room and make everyone happy. He wanted to hear that adorable laugh of his. He wanted to see that certain sparkle in Jack's eyes whenever he came across something he loves. All he wants is the old Jack back.

"I need to go."

"Jack, please don't hang up."

"Bye, Mark."

"If you hang up on me, I'm flying to Ireland."

"No, you won't." Before Mark could reply, Jack had hung up. Mark tried calling Jack again, but he unsurprisingly didn't pick up. Mark needed to help Jack, so he decided to buy a plane ticket for Ireland. The earliest time was 6:00 A.M. the next morning, so he bought it.

He was going to help his Irishman.

***

Jack almost cried when his favorite American showed up at his apartment at 4:00 A.M. and hugged him without saying a word.

"M-Mark? Why are you here?"

"I told you I would fly to Ireland if you hang up on me. Don't underestimate me when it comes to you, Jack. Now, tell me what's wrong."

"I can't. I'll be alright, I promise."

"Not without help! Jack, please, just let me help you."

"Fine. I'll tell you, but not here."

"Alright, then where?"

Jack grabbed Mark's arm and rushed him out the apartment. As they ran, Jack's hand suddenly slipped down Mark's arm. Mark watched carefully as their hands slowly intertwined. Jack looked over his own shoulder to see Mark, but neither of them did anything about it. They said nothing and continued to run to wherever Jack was going, not letting go of each others' hands. It felt so right and Mark realized how much he desired- how much he needed- Jack.

Eventually, they made it to a shore with a beautiful view. They were both very tired, but seeing this view was worth it. They reluctantly let go of each others' hands, refusing to acknowledge what just happened, sitting down.

It was almost 5:00 A.M. and the sun was starting to rise. The sight was absolutely breathtaking.

"Jack, this is beautiful."

"Yeah, well, I'm a sucker for sunsets and sunrises. They're just so pretty."

"Well, can you tell me what's wrong? Jack, please. All I want to do is help you."

"Alright, fine. You want the truth?"

"Yeah, I'd like that."

Jack took a deep breath and stare and Mark, trying his best not to avoid eye contact. They suddenly started to lean closer to each other. "I fell in love. A week or two ago, I realized I was in love, and this person would always give me butterflies in my stomach. But, I know I don't have a chance with them, and that's why I feel so shitty."

"There has to be more than that, right?" They got closer...

"I lost sleep over this person; there was not a moment when I wasn't thinking about them. I couldn't concentrate while eating because they were always on my mind. I tried to avoid them and everyone associated with them because I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to do something wrong, so I was afraid of doing anything at all."

"Go on." And closer...

"This person is amazing. They're incredibly good-looking, they have an amazing sense of humor, they're smart, strong, and everything about them is perfect. Well, maybe not everything is perfect about them, but I'm alright with that. Everyone has flaws. But, all I want to do is be able to call them mine. And the best part?"

"Continue..." Mark and Jack got so close to each other that they could feel each others' deep breaths on their skin, their foreheads millimeters away from touching.

"The best part is that they flew all the way from California to Ireland just to make me feel better. We held hands and they didn't question it. But, most importantly..."

"Tell me, Jack; what's most important?" Mark stared at Jack's lips as they leaned closer, their lips now being the ones that are a millimeter or two apart.

"Most importantly," Jack whispered, "we're just about to kiss while watching a gorgeous sunrise."

Mark closed the small gap that was in between them, their lips softly pressing together. This is it. Mark had found Jack's key to happiness. It may be his own key, too.

After that day, Jack started eating again. He would get more sleep, participate in more activities with Mark and their friends, and he was back to his old self in no time. The Jack that Mark had fallen in love with was back, and Mark couldn't wish for anything better than this.