By Candle Light

THANK YOU author144 FOR BEING SO AWESOME AT WRITING! THIS CHAPTER IS AMAZING!

"How about a game night?" Mark suggested, and Jack looked up, eyes gleaming with excitement. "We can play cards, Monopoly, Scrabble, all sorts of boards games and things!"
"Hell yeah!" Jack said, a grin crossing his face as he got up and followed the other man back through his house. Jack had decided that he was going to stay the night, and wasn't sure what he was going to do. They'd played games, recorded, eaten food, and now they were stuck at home when the ultimate boredom struck them. Mark's new idea, however, filled Jack with happiness as they gathered all of the games and cards they could find within Mark's closet and around the house. They returned to the living room where a rather large coffee sat, and they set the array of games around them.
"Where should we start?" Mark asked, rubbing his hands and looking around the at the games. Jack heard the rain outside start pouring rather quickly, and the pair glanced towards the windows as the wind picked up as well.
"Maybe we should start-." Jack began, pointing to Scrabble, when the lights flickered once, and then shut off completely. Jack jumped a bit, and Mark reached his hand out and grabbed his arm. The pair sat in the silence, listening to the rain patter on the roof and the wind rustle the trees outside. Then, Mark stood and left Jack sitting by himself. The Irishman didn't move, blink, or hardly breathe until Mark returned with matches and several candles. He lit them one by one, setting them on the table and lighting their playing area up a bit. He grinned a bit creepily over the candles which made them both laugh before setting Scrabble up.
"What a coincidence." Mark said, tipping his head back to laugh. "My first word is storm." He set the tiles into place, and Jack laughed, faltering off as he looked at his own pieces in contemplation of his next move. The game went on like this, Mark relaxed and loose, Jack a bit more serious as he remained intensely into the game. Then he too, towards the end of the game, tipped his head back and laughed loudly.
"I'm going to play xylophone," he said, and Mark's eyes widened. The tiles were set into place and the points were counted. Jack most definitely won the game after such a word had been put down. Mark shook his head.
"That was crazy, how did you get xylophone?" he demanded, and Jack only laughed with a shrug.
"I'm not sure, but it helped me to kick your ass."
"It won't help you in Monopoly!" Mark announced, putting the game of Scrabble away and pulling Monopoly from under the stack of games. He set it up, briefly sparring with Jack on who should be the banker for fear of cheating; both knew that the other wouldn't but the sarcastic insults and bickering were what made it worth wasting their time.
"I'm the banker, because I studied engineering and can do the math things!" Mark announced, and Jack pouted, arms folded over his chest, before his eyes gleamed and he reached into the box.
"Then I'm the racecar!" he responded, and Mark gaped at him as he set his piece on the board. "What? That's totally fair!"
"Oh-ho-ho." Mark laughed, closing his eyes. "Now I'm going to have to win."
"Oh it is on like Donkey Kong!" Jack snapped his fingers. "You'll need a lot of skill to beat someone this boss!" And so the game began, starting with Jack landing on several properties and Mark right behind him. They fought back and forth for land, houses, money, and whether or not Mark was cheating off the bank's stash in secret, which as it turned out, he had been since Jack started beating him. Jack flipped the board onto Mark, sending pieces and paper money flying everywhere, and the pair sprawled onto the ground laughing. Then they both helped to clean it all up and put it away.
"Let's play a really manly game." Mark suggested, pulling out a deck of cards. "Yah, something really masculine, like-."
"Go fish!" Jack shouted, and the pair only eyed one another before laughing.
"Shows how manly you are." Mark harrumphed, and then grinned at the Irishman. A clap of thunder shook the house and Jack yelped, ducking under the table. Mark laughed again. "Jack, c'mon I was joking, you don't have to pretend to be afraid now."
"No, Mark, I'm actually-." Jack began in a shaky sounding voice before another clap sent him sprawling into Mark's lap, showering cards everywhere as the man had been attempting to shuffle them. Mark stared down at him curiously, and watched with a narrowed eyes.
"You're actually afraid of thunder?" he asked, and Jack looked up briefly before his face flushed tomato red.
"Yah, well, it's childish I know but yah." Jack mumbled, looking away and sitting up only to go careening under a pile of blankets as another clap of thunder shook the house. "Its just the noise, it scares the shit out of me." Mark glanced at him sympathetically, seeing that it was late at night, and their card games would get them nowhere. He blew out all the candles but one, and brought it over to where Jack was and sat down next to him. "What are you doing?" Jack asked, and Mark merely placed his head on his lap, covering him with blankets and removing his hat. "Mark?" Mark ignored him, running a hand through his hair and humming softly.
Another boom of thunder made Jack curl into a ball, but Mark didn't move. He continued to hum, his voice growing a bit louder as to be audible. He could feel the Irishman's breathing slow, his heart rate quickening when the thunder sounded again, but was otherwise falling asleep below him. Mark continued to hum, it was something along the lines of Silent Night, and running his hand through Jack's hair gently. Once the man fell asleep, Mark smiled and curled up beside him.
He blew out the candle.